Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magnetic Phone Mount Ash Tray
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Morrie
Hi Evan,

I have a spare ash tray I was just looking at the other day to try and modify. I'd much rather have one of your unfinished mounts. Let me know.

Morrie

P.S.- yuck, only 7 posts, makes me look like a spammer or something. Just got the 914 but have had 911s, 912, 944, 924S, etc... check my rep on the bird or 912bbs.org if concerned. (I am not 914-smart enough to post here yet, just reading and learning!)
913B
Hello, I would like a unfinished one please. I will PM you.

Thank you

Ted
malcolm2
BTW, I ran across the clips on GROUPON. They have a huge selection, mainly the magnetic type. But they are all on sale, I don't remember seeing any that were over $13.

Looking forward to giving this baby a try.
larryM
here's an easy & cheap alternative - a 30 minute job

look at all 4 pictures below

buy this on amazon & take it apart (get rid of the slot expansion section)

Click to view attachment

DO this

.Click to view attachment

. Click to view attachment

Get THIS

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
application question:

Has anyone tried the magnetic clip using a MOPHIE? I would assume, I could just attach the metal sticker to the outside of the MOPHIE. The mophie does add some weight to the phone, I wonder how strong these magnets are. Will it hold a heavy mophie cased phone?
scott_in_nh
After unsuccessfully trying to mount my magnetic clip to the vents like I do in my truck - I'm in for an unfinished one.

thanks,

Scott
Evan0
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 22 2017, 10:46 AM) *

application question:

Has anyone tried the magnetic clip using a MOPHIE? I would assume, I could just attach the metal sticker to the outside of the MOPHIE. The mophie does add some weight to the phone, I wonder how strong these magnets are. Will it hold a heavy mophie cased phone?

Sounds like that would work. The magnets are pretty strong in these mounts. Mine as held an iPad in its case.
malcolm2
I know NOTHING about 3D printing or the material. But can anything be done about the cracking? I know these are just fun prototype type items. But it is super useful. I really do like it. I wonder about the one you sanded and painted. Is it holding up? Maybe a paint job will stop the cracking.

Click to view attachment
Jett
I have a finished version and it's holding up well. We just used it for a week road trip down 101 smile.gif
ConeDodger
I'll take a finished one. biggrin.gif
Evan0
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jul 9 2017, 06:44 AM) *

I know NOTHING about 3D printing or the material. But can anything be done about the cracking? I know these are just fun prototype type items. But it is super useful. I really do like it. I wonder about the one you sanded and painted. Is it holding up? Maybe a paint job will stop the cracking.

The material is ABS plastic so a tiny drop of acetone or plastic model glue will dissolve the plastic a bit and fuse it together. Painting them tend to make 3D prints a tad stronger as the paint will help the layers adhere to each other better. Hope that helps. Let me know if you need more help with it.
ConeDodger
I went shopping for the actual mount today and I found one that is pretty much perfect. My main complaint about these things is that the slightest speedbump or pot hole and your cell phone and mount are bouncing around your ankles.

This is the Scosche MagicMount Vent Pro. I got it at AT&T but it is probably available online for less. I paid $29 + tax... It is on there for good!
ConeDodger
Mounted and doing the job! biggrin.gif
seanery
Great Job, Evan, these look great!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 23 2017, 04:51 PM) *

I went shopping for the actual mount today and I found one that is pretty much perfect. My main complaint about these things is that the slightest speedbump or pot hole and your cell phone and mount are bouncing around your ankles.

This is the Scosche MagicMount Vent Pro. I got it at AT&T but it is probably available online for less. I paid $29 + tax... It is on there for good!

I have a had more problems with the suction cup type falling off of the window, I have never had one of these magnetic ones let go of the phone and fall out, ever. I had mine in place in Helen Georgia all over the hill s up there and it did not fall out or off. Now in my other car I ahd it slide off the vent but the magnet was still on the phone (different vent).

914-300Hemi
If these are still available I would like a finished one please.
drem914
Are these available anymore? If not, is the 3D file available to print out?
FlacaProductions
I messaged Evan0 a while back and he was kind enough to supply the link for download:

3d source file at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2285940 . Any 3d printing service, such as shapeways.com or 3dhubs.com can produce the item for you.

I had one printed out from Xometry.com and i'm very happy.
I didn't finish it, I just did a wrap with vinyl and it is a really nice item - just got it "installed" last week. I do have a dash cover on and did have to do juuuust a little bit of filing to clearance the cutout but it's not a big deal.

Click to view attachment
913B
Finally getting around to sanding and painting the mount.

My question to those that have painted it what finish would look best on it?
(satin, flat or matte)

I am thinking of using this Krylon paint and sand between coats.
I read it's not necessary but some reviewers said it was possible to get a smooth finish.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Click to view attachment

Evan0

I would recommend a coat of filler primer such as Rust-Oleum 249418 Automotive Sandable Primer . Followed by a light sanding to smooth things out. I used a SEM 39143 Trim Black which closely matches other automotive black trim.
ConeDodger
Not really part of the mount but the magnet starts losing its grip after a while without an opposite attraction to the magnetic surface. I grabbed a pacemaker magnet from an old unused crash cart at work and attached it when I put the car in the warehouse for the winter. She should have her grip back when spring comes around.
malcolm2
They are a great idea. Who ever has the drawing, maybe make some changes. I think I suggested to the OP that it would be cool if there was a tray inside, like the ashtray was. Chuck some change in there....
stickyfingers
Hi Evan. Thank you for providing the files. Fantastic. I modified the files a little bit to print the same mount with a larger hole and stuck a belkin MagSage in there. Perfect fit. Appreciate it.

Attached some pics:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Evan0 @ Apr 30 2017, 08:49 PM) *

I wanted to share my design for a 3D printed ash tray phone holder. The other designs I've seen tend to use a gripping type mount. I use a magnetic mount in my daily driver and thought that my 914 should have the same convenience.

Instead of trying to solve the problem of the mount, this ash tray is more of a mount for a mount. It emulates the fitting pattern found on many mounts designed for air vents. It should work with any mount you find that claims to work on air vents.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here's a picture of the finished version compared with the unfinished version.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The model and instructions can be found on Thingiverse Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

*EDIT*
Raw unpainted 3d printed ones will be $25 shipped anywhere in the US, and painted ones will be $65 shipped anywhere in the US. Payment methods accepted are Paypal, Venmo, and Square Cash. Sorry, I can't take anything else. The actual mount isn't included, You can get any variety of round air vent mounts off Amazon. For example, Mount 1 Mount 2

Interested List

Jeff Bowlsby- 1x Raw - Shipped
C-Ya MK - 1x Raw - Shipped
r_towle?
abes914?
wes - 1x Raw - Ready to Ship
BENBRO02 - 1x Raw - Shipped
clapeza - 1x Raw - Shipped
theer - 2x Raw - Shipped
RickS - 1x Raw - Ready to Ship
Jett - 1x Finished - Shipped
ThunderbirdDrive - 1x Raw - Shipped
Hoppie944s2 - 1x Raw - Ready to Ship
Flmont = 1x Finished - Shipped
RAX 914 = 1x Raw - Shipped
Mowog4 - 1x Finished - Shipped
rktmn247 - 1x Raw - Shipped
Harpo - 1x Raw - Shipped
Camaro Mike - 1x Raw - Shipped
Calvinator2016 - 1x Raw - Shipped
JHop - 1x Raw - Shipped
Philip W. - 1x Finished - Shipped
proto31 - 1x Raw - Shipped
malcolm2 - 1x Raw - Shipped
Morrie - 1x Raw - Shipped
porsche913b_sp - 1x Raw - Shipped
scott_in_nh - 1x Raw - Shipped
ConeDodger - 1x Finished - Shipped

I'll take a finished one, if you're still making and shipping these.

Please message me for payment instructions?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.