Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0L into an Early 914 - Keeping Tail Shift Trans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flamefront
Guys,

I'm putting a built 2.0L Type IV engine into my '72 tail shifter car. Looks like all I need to switch over is the engine cross bar, but do I even need to do that?

I want to keep the tail shift transmission as an anti-theft device....
injunmort
you will also need the crossbar/engine mounts, they are different as well.
Tom_T
You can easily convert your tailshifter to side-shift & YOU will really prefer it & get a lot more out of your new motor, since you're going to the time & expense to convert it to a 2L.

Other than theifs not knowing how to drive a manual trans, there's no such thing as theft deterrance there!

If you're worried, spend some dough to get LoJack Classic or something like that which is a real theft deterrance & recovery.

welcome.png

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
flamefront
Thanks for the input.

Regarding the motor mounts, if I put the '72 cross bar onto the 2.0L engine, I'll keep the existing '72 rubber motor mounts in their place, correct?
brant
QUOTE(flamefront @ May 1 2017, 09:49 AM) *

Thanks for the input.

Regarding the motor mounts, if I put the '72 cross bar onto the 2.0L engine, I'll keep the existing '72 rubber motor mounts in their place, correct?

there are 2 separate metal brackets on the 2.0 motor mounted to the engine block behind the fan housing...

you will need to pull the housing off I believe in order to re-use the single larger metal bracket on the block of your 1.7 you are taking out

I believe (but have never tried it)... that your old 1.7 bracket will bolt right on to the 2.0 block... allowing the use of the old style tail shift motor mount bar you already have....

then you should be able to keep all of the motor mounts the same as they were on the car prior to the upgrade
flamefront
Great -- thanks for the tips
Dave_Darling
If you are keeping the tail-shifter, then just swap the motor. Use the brackets on the crankcase plus the mounts and such from your old motor. Keep the motor mount bar and mounts that are already on the car. Just swap the motor.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.