Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternatives to engine lid torsion bars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
My lid alignment was a mess so I inspected the hinge mounts and found both had cracked welds. I re-welded them, put the lid back on, and the alignment was still a mess.

It's a GT style lid and I figured the force of the torsion bars was too much causing it to twist when fully shut, so I removed them and it fits perfectly. Only problem is, now it won't stay open on its own.

Anyone have an ingenious solution to this? Simple metal prop attached to the lid? Small shock? Hydraulic air lift set up with nitrous oxide?

Thanks
John
GregAmy
On the race car I removed the hinges and the latch entirely and have it held on with three hood pins. Makes it REAL easy to work on the car...you may not want to do this, but if you do...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
amfab
Maybe bend up a copy of the torsion bar with thinner diameter rod?
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(john77 @ May 1 2017, 03:00 PM) *

It's a GT style lid and I figured the force of the torsion bars was too much causing it to twist when fully shut, so I removed them and it fits perfectly. Only problem is, now it won't stay open on its own.

The GT style lid is very light weight.... so with the standard 2 torsion springs it way over powers the lid. I found using just one of the torsion springs was sufficient. The GT lid is also pretty flimsy so it is easy to twist the lid itself to make it line up. Mine was easy peasy.
john77
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ May 1 2017, 07:55 PM) *

The GT style lid is very light weight.... so with the standard 2 torsion springs it way over powers the lid. I found using just one of the torsion springs was sufficient. The GT lid is also pretty flimsy so it is easy to twist the lid itself to make it line up. Mine was easy peasy.

I actually already tried this and even one puts it out of shape. My lid is 'GT-lite' though - I bought the frame trimmed back to almost nothing and finished it myself by just wrapping it in expanded aluminum. It looks good but has zero structural rigidity.
tygaboy
I got this for my LS build. Haven't installed it yet...

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/eng...t-set-body-914/
john77
QUOTE(amfab @ May 1 2017, 04:31 PM) *

Maybe bend up a copy of the torsion bar with thinner diameter rod?

Good idea, I might give this a try.
john77
QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 1 2017, 08:15 PM) *

Thanks Tyga. This is kind of what I had in my head. Where does it attach?
john77
QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 1 2017, 03:40 PM) *

On the race car I removed the hinges and the latch entirely and have it held on with three hood pins. Makes it REAL easy to work on the car...you may not want to do this, but if you do...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Nice solution Greg. Not quite right for me, but it looks great.
Lucky9146
Someone had already done this to mine before I got it and I think it is kind of trick. GT style lid. Single shock strut. No torsion bars!

Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ May 2 2017, 02:55 PM) *

Good info,would one torsion bar be enough for a standard six conversion lid ? i.e. less rain tray etc.
The gas strut is a solution but it does intrude into the engine space somewhat and its about finding the right one...too much tension and the lid twists as mentioned.
tygaboy
QUOTE(john77 @ May 1 2017, 09:04 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 1 2017, 08:15 PM) *

Thanks Tyga. This is kind of what I had in my head. Where does it attach?

Here's a pic from the PMS site. But there are a bunch of ways/places I bet would work.
Marv's3.6six
I actually already tried this and even one puts it out of shape. My lid is 'GT-lite' though - I bought the frame trimmed back to almost nothing and finished it myself by just wrapping it in expanded aluminum. It looks good but has zero structural rigidity.

That might be a problem... blink.gif

Good info,would one torsion bar be enough for a standard six conversion lid ? i.e. less rain tray etc.

Have seen it done but the lid only pops up a few inches. Still the same issue in that the lid will need some help to stay all the way open.
porschetub
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ May 3 2017, 11:29 AM) *

That might be a problem... blink.gif

Have seen it done but the lid only pops up a few inches. Still the same issue in that the lid will need some help to stay all the way open.

Thank you ,it will stay as it is, beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.