Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering shaft u-joint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srreality
1973 914 17 liter - - - - I need to replace the steering shaft u-joint that's near the floor. To get the old one off and the new one on, I need some room between shaft pieces. How much of the steering column do I have to take apart to move the "up" far enough to install the new u-joint? Suggestions?
r_towle
you need to remove it.
Olympic 914
When I put mine together I forgot to attach the U-joint to the steering rack when I installed the rack. no amount of wiggling would get me enough room to slide the u-joint onto the splined shaft.

I just removed the 4 bolts holding the rear of the cross member and loosened the four in front, then pulling down on the cross member that gave me enough room to put the u-joint onto the splined shaft.

same thing should work for you. You will have to remove the steering rack cover but its not a big deal, two of the bolts you will be removing anyway.

There may be an easier way but this worked for me. confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
euro911
I've never done this, so I'm asking just because I'm curious, - this can't be done by dropping the steering column and pulling it back away from the dash enough to (re) fit the u-joint?

confused24.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 1 2017, 09:05 PM) *

I've never done this, so I'm asking just because I'm curious, - this can't be done by dropping the steering column and pulling it back away from the dash enough to (re) fit the u-joint?

confused24.gif

yes it can, but the geometry is tight. From what I recall, you need to remove the steering column, then you can pull that lower ujoint.

rich
914Sixer
Rich is correct, the column has to come off.
srreality
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to avoid taking the steering column apart and out, but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.
euro911
Well, two options have been mentioned. Not sure which one is the least painful confused24.gif
srreality
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 2 2017, 12:06 AM) *

Well, two options have been mentioned. Not sure which one is the least painful confused24.gif

I had the steering column partially taken apart a month ago to replace the wiper switch and turn signal switch, but had not noticed the "click" in the steering column until I drove it around some for the first time. I thought I was through with this restoration project until then!
gcrotvik
I don't believe you need to completely remove the steering column. Simply removing the 4 bolts that attach the column to the shell should give you enough "wiggle" room to change the u joint. Also, remove the M8 bolt in the upper u joint so the shaft can slide inward.
srreality
So...........after I remove the horn ring, steering wheel, turn signal and wiper switch, if I loosen the bolts holding the "upper" u joint, will the steering shaft slide "up" (or out) enough to remove the "lower" u-joint? confused24.gif
gcrotvik
The "the horn ring, steering wheel, turn signal and wiper switch" are all on the outer column and are not in the way. Remove the 4 bolts that secure the column to the shell. Have a second set of hands hold the attached steering wheel to pull it forward a bit. Loosing the bolt won't help it slide into the upper u joint. The bolt pins it in place on the shaft. Remove it but don't pull the shaft completely out of the upper u joint.

It might be best to remove your knee pad while doing this.
burton73
I have done this on a couple of cars removing the steering rack. I was younger and it was easer then. The joint does not want to come off. But I was changing the rack to a carrera unit.

Bob B
srreality
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ May 2 2017, 09:00 AM) *

The "the horn ring, steering wheel, turn signal and wiper switch" are all on the outer column and are not in the way. Remove the 4 bolts that secure the column to the shell. Have a second set of hands hold the attached steering wheel to pull it forward a bit. Loosing the bolt won't help it slide into the upper u joint. The bolt pins it in place on the shaft. Remove it but don't pull the shaft completely out of the upper u joint.

Luckily, I haven't installed the knee pad yet.........that was last item on my "punch list".

Thanks for the tips! Makes sense to me. I'm off to the garage to give it a whirl.
srreality
QUOTE(srreality @ May 2 2017, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(gcrotvik @ May 2 2017, 09:00 AM) *

Luckily, I haven't installed the knee pad yet.........that was last item on my "punch list".

Thanks for the tips! Makes sense to me. I'm off to the garage to give it a whirl.

Well, as usual on this car, 3 of the 4 bolts loosened up with "persuasion".....the 4th resisted all efforts, tools, curse words, black magic, etc. so drilled it out. Tomorrow I'll see if I can finish the job. beer3.gif
srreality
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ May 2 2017, 08:54 AM) *

I don't believe you need to completely remove the steering column. Simply removing the 4 bolts that attach the column to the shell should give you enough "wiggle" room to change the u joint. Also, remove the M8 bolt in the upper u joint so the shaft can slide inward.

Thanks again for your tip. I soaked the splines in WD40 overnight last night and had my sweet wife hold the steering column this morning. There was just enough room to slide the old u-joint out and put the new one in........with a little jockeying around, as you said. Problem solved, no more "hitch" in the steering column! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
gcrotvik
QUOTE(srreality @ May 3 2017, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(gcrotvik @ May 2 2017, 08:54 AM) *

Thanks again for your tip. I soaked the splines in WD40 overnight last night and had my sweet wife hold the steering column this morning. There was just enough room to slide the old u-joint out and put the new one in........with a little jockeying around, as you said. Problem solved, no more "hitch" in the steering column! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

Excellent. Aren't old cars fun!?! Cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.