Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel smell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bam1957
I had a 914 in 1985 and I don't remember having any issues with a gas smell inside the car. I'm in the market now and have test driven two cars in the past two months. While test driving them I have noticed a strong smell of gas inside the car during the drive. Can anyone tell me if this a normal caracteristic of the 914 after 40 years and do you experience the same thing or can anyone tell me what they think might be wrong with the cars I have checked out? Thanks
snakemain
Could be a case of FI vs carbs (carbs have gas venting to atmosphere), or charcoal canister on top of gas tank old or missing. Both of mine with carbs make my garage reek (according to my wife) when I've had them running.
bam1957
QUOTE(snakemain @ May 1 2017, 09:16 PM) *

Could be a case of FI vs carbs (carbs have gas venting to atmosphere), or charcoal canister on top of gas tank old or missing. Both of mine with carbs make my garage reek (according to my wife) when I've had them running.

Thanks for the reply, they were both FI cars and I was wondering if it might be the charcoal canister, it was such a strong smell while driving.
mark04usa
Replacing fuel hoses and lines is a regular maintenence job for a 914, especially the high pressure hoses if it is still EFI. Leaks are possible from several locations under the forward fuel tank, in the center tunnel through the interrior (rarely), behind and under the rear firewall, and in the engine compartment. Be careful, as fires have been common in poorly serviced cars. Good luck with your 914 search... beerchug.gif
bam1957
I'm just hoping that they are all not like that!
bam1957
Thanks
bam1957
I'll keep an eye out for that and also ask the sellers if I come across it again.
jmalone

The easiest explanation would be spilled fuel in the trunk from filling the tank.
zipedadoo
My car had a strong gas smell, finally realized it worsened when the tank was full. Leading me to the gas cap.
Coondog
Doesn't matter if you buy a 914 change all the lines anyway. Just factor in the cost when you buy the car
Tastyplacement
Not a big deal at all...that gas cap gasket is like 10 dollars and modern fuel lines/hose are very cheap.
GregAmy
The fuel smell in my '74 purchase was a fuel tank with worn/rusty holes where it meets the body. Fill it over 3/4 tank and presto!

Replacement tank resolved that.

Edit: to clarify: the felt pads were gone, so the tank was rubbing on the body. Developed rust/hole.
iankarr
The short answer is no...914s shouldn't have a gas smell in the car. I've had a carbed 73 and FI 74 and neither had a gas smell inside the car. As others have said, there may be leaks and/or components need replacing. But that's easily done. Be careful!
Larmo63
It is a common issue with these cars. There are numerous threads to address the problem, and it's just something that you have to diagnose.

It shouldn't be a deal killer for the right car.
bam1957
Thank you all for the info, you've been very helpfull
JawjaPorsche
914Rubber sells gas cap gaskets.
Amphicar770
You should not smell fuel but also do not assume it is just a fuel cap gasket if you do. Mine had similar issues. Resolved only after I replaced all the lines front to back. I had my tank cleaned and treated and the also discovered some pinholes that they brazed up. This on about as rust free a car as you will find. I also replaced the 40 year old activated charcoal at the same time, you can open up canister to do so.
branston
The cabin on my FI 914 started to stink of gas.

In my case it was the original fuel pump dripping/leaking onto the fabric heater hose into the cabin on the passenger side. Fuel pump was shot and in process of replacing.
mepstein
Fuel lines under the tank, in the tunnel, on the engine. Rubber seals on gas cap, under the fill and under the sender. Overflow hose needs to be poking through hole under car. All the gas lines need to have the correct sized FI clamp. Check fuel pumps for leaks. Late charcoal container can be refilled, early can't without drilling a big hole, refilling and then cover with duct tape. Drill a hole with a hole saw on the bottom, use black duct tape and it will be invisible, or just remove and let it air out for a while. Replace fabric vent lines around tank. Send injectors to mr injector. They come back flow tested with new seals and hose.

I did all these things and a smelly car was able to then pass my wife's sniff test.
bam1957
Thanks again to everyone!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.