Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine grill letters repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
Has anyone had any success trying to repair the studs on the plastic engine grill letters? Most of mine broke at least one if not two while being removed. It looks like the letter sets are now running around $200 and it seems like it would be worth it least attempting a repair. Click to view attachment
scallyk9
I haven't spent time dealing with this area but on the 914 I bought last November, a few of the letters with broken pins are attached with what looks like some kind of hardened putty filling the diamond shape on the back. It looks like a hardened black caulk of some sort.
mepstein
I saw one where they shaved off all the pins and superglued black bolts to the letter. Then is was very easy to use a black nut and washer to secure the letter to the grill. The black bits made all the hardware disappear. Use superglue gel.
Beebo Kanelle
http://www.muggyweld.com/pot-metal-repair/
yeahmag
QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ May 3 2017, 10:53 AM) *

Mine are plastic.
yeahmag
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 3 2017, 10:30 AM) *

I saw one where they shaved off all the pins and superglued black bolts to the letter. Then is was very easy to use a black nut and washer to secure the letter to the grill. The black bits made all the hardware disappear. Use superglue gel.

This sounds right up my alley. May give this a try. A rubber backed washer like I use on the air cleaner tops for the dellorto's sounds like just the ticket.
yeahmag
Does anyone know what material the letters are made out of? It seems like plastic welding could be interesting...
maf914
The earlier engine deck letters were anodized aluminum, gold from 70-72 and silver in 73, at least that is what the 914 Restorers Guide indicates.

The letters from year 74 were plated plastic. My 76 has chrome plated plastic letters that are now peeling, revealing the black plastic beneath. I have a set of chrome plated metal letters that I bought several years ago, I think from PB Tweeks, that I will use when I do the restoration. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.