Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Koni exploded!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
Okay... maybe exploded wasn't the right word. But it sure sprayed fluid all over.

I was installing one of the new yellow fronts. Had my torque wrench set to 55lbs. Just about reached torque, and the shock started to spray. sad.gif I can see where it's leaking. It's leaking from the threads about 3/4 inch below the adjuster knob.

I called HPH and talked to Rich. He'd never heard of it before. He called Koni. Apparently, it's a classic symptom of overtorquing. blink.gif I'm not saying (yet) it's my fault, but I thought I was doing the right thing. If it's my fault (badly calibrated wrench), then it's going to be a costly mistake. I'll get the calibration on my my wrench checked next week.

Meantime... props to Rich. He's sending me a new shock. I'll pay for it, and we can fight for the refund on the messed up one.

Anyways... get your torque wrenches checked and then use them! More to follow when the shock gets to HPH and then thier Koni rep.

-Rusty smoke.gif
SirAndy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

i'm bored. i wanna see a exploded shock!
rolleyes.gif Andy
Part Pricer

I had the same thing happen to me. Although, I thought the torque setting was 54 lb/ft.

Shock was replaced, no questions asked.

Aaron Cox
you overtorquer! laugh.gif
McMark
Which connection was potentially overtorqued? confused24.gif
Trekkor
When we installed my Koni's, I don't remember torquing anything. unsure.gif

KT
mskala
QUOTE (trekkor @ May 9 2005, 05:48 PM)
When we installed my Koni's, I don't remember torquing anything. unsure.gif

KT

Yeah, what he said. When I just put mine in, I used my air
impact gun on the top nylock nut - but the shaft can spin
freely inside the unit without doing anything bad.
TravisNeff
DOH! I never torqued mine in, got them in tight with a rachet and later after a suspension swap impact wrench. I stopped with the shaft spun along with the nut.
Rusty
QUOTE (McMark @ May 9 2005, 05:39 PM)
Which connection was potentially overtorqued? confused24.gif

The top nut... the threads are on a fragile part of the shaft. The adjuster mechanism runs through that shaft.

-Rusty smoke.gif
SLITS
Hmmmmm...maybe rubbing it to hard wub.gif prior to installation?
redshift
Ok, make a note, do not install shocks at a gas pump..

M
dinomium
Um hi, my name is Dino and I am an Overtorquer... flipa.gif Yeah I did it too, but mine was a Rear...
Koni sent me a new one.
thank gawd, or I would have never gotten that wheel back on! Whew!
sean_v8_914
wow I got lucky. I did the same thing ...air gun on 4. I will use torque wench mastahh, 54 to 55 lbs...better make it 50 since I whacked them with the air devil smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.