Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Love these wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Big Len
What a great idea to do with steelies. I saw this on the 914 FB page. Anybody know about them?

Click to view attachment
Racer
You like the coloring or the widening?
SirAndy
I've seen quite a few of those all the way up to 9", cheap way to get wide wheels.
shades.gif
Big Len
I like both width and the polished ring (or is that chrome?). I'd bet they'd be heavy, but they keep another traditional look while looking different.
r_towle
I think they came stock on mid 70,s beetles....there are a few of those around here in the barn and behind it. Seems most of the parts cars I got had those wheels.
stugray
I have one set of 7" wide steelies and I have been trying for over a year to find someone that can make me another set.

Anyone know of a place that will do it?
IronHillRestorations
Google found this place:
http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/

I have no personal experience with this company.
914forme
agree.gif that is the place I was thinking of. Used to be a place out in Washington State the would also do steels.

I had a place out in Washington State do a set for me a long time ago. Mike Nugget knew them and hooked me up.
rgalla9146

That style wheel was offered in a wider width on a special version of the Beetle.
The Sunbug ?
The standard wheel was a 5" ? and the special a 6" ?
An unusual wheel but someone here has to know.
Larmo63
My girlfriend in high school got a brand new '76 white convertible that had those wheels on it. I thought they were God-awful ugly (still do) and I painted them white for her. That made them look pretty snazzy in those days.
GeorgeRud
That style of wheels was also found on the 74 914s that didn't come with the optional alloys (though not gold or widened) in 5 1/2" X 15" size.
r_towle
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 4 2017, 09:12 PM) *

That style wheel was offered in a wider width on a special version of the Beetle.
The Sunbug ?
The standard wheel was a 5" ? and the special a 6" ?
An unusual wheel but someone here has to know.

Sunbug.
I had a 74.

Gold wheels, sunroof, corduroy interior.

So many great stories in that car....
It lived a rough end of life thanks to me and my buddies.

Rich
euro911
QUOTE(AZBanks @ May 4 2017, 08:41 PM) *

Those reminded me - I used to have VW centers welded into 6" wide 14 & 15" Chevy rims, with a lower offset on the fronts to widen the track. The place was called 'Perfect Wheel', in Gardena - but I think they closed up shop after the Los Angeles riots in '92 dry.gif

Also had them make a set of 13" x 10" wide wheels for a modified VW sedan we used to run slaloms at the Bug-Ins in the early 70's - (we ran Blue-Streak indy tires) aktion035.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(AZBanks @ May 4 2017, 08:41 PM) *

I had a set of those on my 1303S. Widened to 8"/9".
driving.gif

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.