Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil pump won't prime.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pugbug
I am ready to start the new engine but........
I've been cranking the engine, but the oil light stays on.
I'm pretty sure that I forgot to pack it when I assembled the engine... Any suggestions, or will I have to take the cover off the pump?
Yes there is oil in it... smile.gif
How long do I crank before I get oil pressure normally?
Cap'n Krusty
Loosen the filter so there's a visible gap, and crank the engine with the point wire disconnected 'til it leaks through the gap. Tighten the filter, and start the car. The Cap'n
Pugbug
Cap'n;
I did what you suggested, and lots of oil leaked out in a very short time, so I guess the oil is pumping. I think the starter turns too slow to build enough pressure to put the oil light out.
So you're sure it is safe to start now? I 'm a bit nervous starting up a new rebuild for the first time. ohmy.gif

I think I'll put it off till tomorrow. I still have to install the spark plugs, and static time it for startup. I'll have to run it over 2000 rpm for 15 to 20 minutes according to web cam's instructions and I just don't feel like doing that this evening....So it's Miller time. beer.gif
Dave_Darling
I used a turkey baster to squirt some oil up into the pickup tube. Put my drain pan under the open sump, and just kept squirting oil up into the pickup. Got tired of that, buttoned it all back up again, re-filled with oil. The oil light went out in about 10 seconds worth of cranking.

I was very relieved.

--DD
Pugbug
I started the engine this morning. Fired right up and the oil light went out in a couple of seconds. Ran it at 3000 rpm for about 10 minutes, but had to shut down because one of the valve covers was leaking pretty badly....I'll put another valve cover on it tomorrow, check timing, set up the carbs, and finally be able to drive it! driving.gif
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.