Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel value? | vintage centerlines...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
litesonic
Based on my research, these are old school centerlines.

Before I post for sale... what value do you think they have?

Specs:

4x130
15x5.5
With 195 60 tire 32.5 lbs.

thanks!
Tom_T
They may not be 914 offset, which should be ET40.

If a VW offset, then you'll have better luck over at TheSamba.com with the VW folks (Porsches are over there too).

From your pic of one, it's been curbed & looks to have some oxidation damage around the center, so based on what other aftermarket wheels go for in better shape - you may only be looking at $100-200 for the set of 4. PS ... maybe $300 if the tiers are a year or so off date code.

For a real ad, you'll need the offset & good pix front & back of all wheels, & I suggest that you spend some elbow grease to thoroughly clean them up to eliminate any dirt looking like oxidation or damage, if you want top dollar.

PS "Barum" isn't a top tire brand - more of an econo tire, & the age will also be a factor in whether they're still driveable, so show pix of the DOT date code on each tire & tread + sidewalls both sides' condition for any cracking.

GLWTS! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mueller
Centerline wheels or just a Centerline cap on those wheels?

Knowing offset helps, might be too close to outer fender on the rear for some people.

I'd say $200 for the wheels only, $350ish for complete combo if tires are in good shape and not past expiration date.

Nothing special about the size and if only 4 of them one has to consider the risk they are taking in buying a set of wheels that you don't see too often.

All it takes is a flat tire or something to damage a wheel and until you find a replacement you have nothing but scrap metal
arne
The center caps are Centerline, the wheels are not. I can't recall for sure who made that particular wheel (my wheel sales career was a long time ago, from '75-98). I think it was Western Wheel.
litesonic
Thorough and thoughtful reply Tom... big thanks.

My question was really both to determine the potential value and weigh the amount of effort to clean up the other three.

They are from a "barn find" 914 and look the part (see attached pic).Click to view attachment

They fit the arches nicely (pictured on their original shot 165)
Click to view attachment

The tires are 3.5 years old according to the DOT code.
But that's my doing.. and frankly I only mounted them so I could move the car while working on it. The previous had perished.

Hmmm.
Well I know new centerline caps will run me $125... so this seems a wash at best
KELTY360
They look like BBS wheels.
Mueller
I think they would look better with shorter center caps, those stick out too far.

Make you when you list them to include the lug bolts since standard 914 lug bolts will not work with those wheels.
arne
Found them. Not Westerns, they are Ansen Cross Wires. Not sure when I've last seen real Ansen caps, so use whatever you find that fits.

http://www.akhwheels.com/pages/showWheel.php?pk=935

Click to view attachment
litesonic
QUOTE(arne @ May 4 2017, 09:31 PM) *

Found them. Not Westerns, they are Ansen Cross Wires. Not sure when I've last seen real Ansen caps, so use whatever you find that fits.

Click to view attachment

wow.. ok.

I thought they were centerlines...
Now I see they are even more obscure.

litesonic
QUOTE(litesonic @ May 5 2017, 12:50 AM) *

Click to view attachment

wow.. ok.

Yeah even those use the american racing hubcap... stange
litesonic
And those are 14 not 15... I can't find another set of these anywhere.

QUOTE(litesonic @ May 5 2017, 01:00 AM) *

QUOTE(litesonic @ May 5 2017, 12:50 AM) *

Click to view attachment

wow.. ok.

Yeah even those use the american racing hubcap... stange

arne
Back in the '70s, all Centerline wheels were spun aluminum, not cast. Also, in those days many different wheel manufacturers used a fairly standard size center hole, so many center cap brands were interchangeable.

Yes, among old time wheel companies that bothered to make wheels at all for VW and 914, the proper and narrow 15" sizes were not common even back then. So finding a decent set of 4 today is unusual.

That said, I don't know that their rarity makes them especially valuable, even when the supply is tight, there needs to be some demand for them. They are probably worth cleaning up if it can be done without too much time invested. I'd probably try to sell them on Samba though, as I suspect there may be more interest from VW owners, and you won't want to limit your market.
litesonic
QUOTE(arne @ May 5 2017, 09:01 AM) *

Back in the '70s, all Centerline wheels were spun aluminum, not cast. Also, in those days many different wheel manufacturers used a fairly standard size center hole, so many center cap brands were interchangeable.

Yes, among old time wheel companies that bothered to make wheels at all for VW and 914, the proper and narrow 15" sizes were not common even back then. So finding a decent set of 4 today is unusual.

That said, I don't know that their rarity makes them especially valuable, even when the supply is tight, there needs to be some demand for them. They are probably worth cleaning up if it can be done without too much time invested. I'd probably try to sell them on Samba though, as I suspect there may be more interest from VW owners, and you won't want to limit your market.

Excellent advice, thanks!

I think I may just hang onto them and spend money on other things.
I do wish I had the original 2.0 liter fuchs, but that may have to wait for a while.

They are round and hold the tires... I don't need more right now.

thelogo
300 bucks tops
Thats what id pay for em

But im a long lost decedent of the cheap sob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.