Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Color change, should I do it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marv's3.6six
Car was a beautiful shade of blue, it is now down to bare metal all paint has been sandblasted off, both inside and out!!.

Its getting: GT flares, some rust repair, custom rocker panels, custom front spoiler, custom rear valence, and body stiffening kit....all steel.
Not to mention she's gettin a new euro 993 3.6, a close ratio 915, 930 wheels, Brembo brakes (maybe) and misc. upgrades etc. The car has been apart 8 weeks now and will start going back together in about 3-4 weeks.

I have always loved and had silver cars, my first 914 was silver, my wifes car is silver, my truck is silver, my Hog is silver.

What do you guys think? color change would you do it?
TurtleGirl
Well, I'm changing my color from Malaga red to a darker metallic blue (at my husband's request... the only one he had, so I'll give it to him.) If you're thinking silver, don't you have enough already??? I'm all for change, but I think 3 silver vehicles is a little much! biggrin.gif How strict are you on original colors? What about maybe a really light metallic blue, that is almost silver? cool_shades.gif
Gint
As long as it's stripped, why not? It's your car...
rick 918-S
I wub.gif the Malaga wub.gif oops, sorry I was distracted by a shiny object... rolleyes.gif

I was torn between black and silver. Black one out only because I could repair the color easier.

Color is a personal choice.
xitspd
Marv,

It sounds like you are making great progress! Silver is very cool! My project is guards red, but I must admit that the 914RS in yellow is a fine looking machine! Your call! Silver 914-6 picture attached for your perusal.

Dan
Aaron Cox
marv.....

ill miss the blue. go wild! lime green, bright red...yellow!

do a GT paint scheme? orange/black bumpers....
gulf paint scheme? biggrin.gif
914fire
somebody had to.. thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
brp914
Ofcourse color changes are generally a no-no, but In my case it was academic - it had already been done for me. I sure wasn't going to bring it back to off-white - yuck. I had seen a picture of an adriatic blue -6 and knew thats what it had to be. As for your car, I would recomend a factory color, and one thats not too common and also not your typical hot rodder red, orange, or yellow, beautiful though they are. Silver would have been a good choice except that you seem to have too much of that going on. So, how about metalic gold or that olive green (delphi?) I've never seen either of those as a -6. And bring your rockers back to black. It makes it look stock, gives good contrast, and stands up well to the wear and tear that area gets. Sorry if I carried on a bit. I know how it is - when I got my 911 painted I dwelled of the paint charts for hours before going with arctic silver. The contrast of the black targa bar, polished fuchs, and black bumpers was too much to resist.
JoeSharp
Marv: It's such a presonal thing, everybody tells you thier dream. You have a excelent car, I liked it dark blue. I like mine. How do you feel about it?
I can't wait, I want to do pics when your done.
biggrin.gif Joe
P.S. My Adriatic Blue car changes color with the sky.
MoveQik
I say change it if you want. Who cares otherwise? My car was metallic copper from the factory. Then the PO repainted it using the factory color with a pearl added to it. Bad idea IMHO. To make matters worse, he didn't paint the trunks and engine bay so it looked crappy when you opened anything up. I decided to repaint the car after owning a couple of years. I went with the yellow that Lexus uses on their IS300. Talk about bright! It's not a factory 914 color but who cares? Mine is far from concourse so what the hell.
Joseph Mills
With the bodywork you're doing and your penchant for silver, another color that might work for you would be a deep, rich gray.

It would look understated, yet badass.

Sorry... no pics.

And if it turns out you don't like it, you could just pass the car on to me. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
a dark gun metal grey.... wub.gif
TravisNeff
yeah something cool like this. Ok I am a dork..
brp914
this is a factory 6. Grey is not a factory color and will decrease value. Greys are factory colors for 911 and I seriously considered them for my 911 before realizing they look dull and old from the get-go. Go all the way to black or stay light. Panels gotta be perfect for black. Still rooting for gold, olive, or irish green, even though I dont know if those were available for the 6's. Some posted a detailed color chart here within the last week.
MattR
Since this is a fun car with flares, why not a race car sheme? Maybe adapt a Martini 935 scheme? or a gulf 917k? Maybe its just me, but I think a martini 914 would be really sweet. You know, something that accentuates the curves and edges of a 914.

user posted image
user posted image

I dont know if thats too much for you, but I think it would look sweet and different for a 914.
Marv's3.6six
Here is an early pic of the car, when I bought it August 2002, I really do love this particular blue though!
I will take some pics of it Tuesday all neked!
914fire
that blue looks really good boldblue.gif
Scott S
QUOTE (MattR @ May 9 2005, 09:41 PM)
Since this is a fun car with flares, why not a race car sheme? Maybe adapt a Martini 935 scheme? or a gulf 917k? Maybe its just me, but I think a martini 914 would be really sweet. You know, something that accentuates the curves and edges of a 914.

I dont know if thats too much for you, but I think it would look sweet and different for a 914.

nah - that would suck.

wink.gif
MattR
Hey scott, can you post pics of your car here?

The av looks good, but I dont like to squint.
Lou W
Marv's3.2six Posted on May 9 2005, 10:10 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is an early pic of the car, when I bought it August 2002, I really do love this particular blue though!
I will take some pics of it Tuesday all neked!  

Marv, I've been using a picture of your car for my wallpaper, love that color clap.gif

tat2dphreak
dude, I agree with what they all said, it's your car, paint it pink with PURPLE polka dots if you dig that... silver is a great color on almost any car, very clean look and works great on 914s...

James Adams' car is a gorgeous example of a silver 914... very nice!

I have no problems with repaints... let's face it, some of the stock colors ARE NOT for everyone... you have to REALLY love ravenna green to stick with it... I couldn't do it...

shades of blue are great, Joe's cars are beautiful examples...

the gun-metal colors are cool too...

but it's what you like...

if you are looking for a cool Silver, Chrysler has a silver that's very nice, I have it on my DD, it gets cool light purple hues in the sun, esp. if you have polarized shades... smile.gif
JoeSharp
Your car looks awsome and the way that you drive you are a threat to TTOD. You will have the attention of all the big buck A/Xers. I promissed myself if I could do TTOD I would paint the car PINK. If your going to change it make it BRIGHT AND THREATENING.
Scott S
QUOTE (MattR @ May 10 2005, 10:07 AM)
Hey scott, can you post pics of your car here?

The av looks good, but I dont like to squint.

Hiya -
Sorry, I dont have any here at the office. You can see some at this link:

http://scottythedrummer.com/_wsn/page13.html
J P Stein
The blue is lovely wub.gif, silver is boooooring. The Martini copy(or any other racecar scheme) is presumptuous.

I've become quite the art critic now that my car is one color...well, only 2 laugh.gif
Doug Leggins
Yes I would do it - In fact I did it. Went from white to signal orange because for years when i thought of 914s I always remembered the signal orange ones. -Now I got one!

A color change should not be an issue as long as it is done correctly. And it sounds like your going about it as thoroughly as one can.

Considering the other changes that are made, I don't understand the reluctance by some to do a color change. What is special about the color change?

We don't seem to mind putting in a non original motor, or change the color or material of the interior, or upgrade the suspension, or use other wheels, etc....

If you prefer another color, change it too.
Maltese Falcon
Marv, do it up ala Rothmans 956/ 962 or even way back Sunoco 917/30. The 914 lines are perfect for the stripes/ overlays . The transitioning of colors will be mucho fun to color sand (read: work) , but unique when done wink.gif
Anyway , that 3.6 at speed will make onehelluva colorful rainbow !
Marty
Marv's3.6six
Check out the flares and the steel rockers, way bitchen! These guys "Temecula Rod & Custom" do some very very nice metal work.
dekman
When I took my 914-6 to metal I had a tough time deciding what color(original was ivory)....But I chose tangerine(blood orange) , I still love it, and would do it again! But it's a personal choice. Good luck...............robert d.
Marv's3.6six
Check out this rear end!! Kinda looks like a 930 where the rockers and the flares meet.
I can't wait to paint her. I'm thinkin I like the "Brilliant silver" of the wifes C55 Merc. hmm?
BTW the image I am posting is IMG_0914 biggrin.gif
Marv's3.6six
dekman
I do like orange 914GT's like Steve Siversons, believe me I have looked at every car in the "Members 914 pictures thread" and its hard to make the decision.

As of now I'm down to my original blue and silver. confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
go GT style, race car paint scheme.... shell, gulf, sunoc, martini... pick one biggrin.gif
drgchapman
You might want to check this web site: www.alsacorp.com. They have the coolest stuff around. We bought their ghost chrome paint for our stair rail, wow! Paint over black base and get stainlees steel. Paint over white base and get aluminum. They have color changing paint sensitive to temperature. Many other amazing paints.

Gary
brp914
C'mon, no boy-racer paint jobs on a street legal car. It will soon turn on you and look ridiculous. No arguments with silver. Black rockers, hopefully? Possibly black btwn tail lenses. Only problem with orange: see the wcc05 picture? 10 or so in a row - enough already. Gold metallic and olive metallic (delphi) are non-starters?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.