Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MAP Sensors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
With all this talk of turbo type-4 engines, I am getting excited to finally get my together. This is a preview picture of it mounted in the back on my car. I am not going to show you more right now because we are redesigning the exhaust system to get more ground clearance and we are still working on the intake side of things. It is all going to be covered up by an intercooler anyway.

In either case, if I planned to run only up to about 12psi boost (guessing) would a 2bar MAP sensor be sufficient or should I just get a 3bar sensor? Is there a downside of using a 3bar sensor and not going about 14psi? Any resolution issues or anything? Also, are there preferred brands?

Thanks,
Britain

user posted image
Britain Smith
Here is a better picture of the turbo...

-Britain

user posted image
Aaron Cox
no clue on the map sensor....but are you going to run any engine tin?
Britain Smith
I had planned to, but I am not sure now. The header and everything is ceramic coated and shouldn't get too hot.

I had a set of stock 912E tin that I might cut up to fit...don't tell any of the 912E guys though (it is big money).

-Britain
lapuwali
Which ECU do you plan to run? That makes a significant difference, as they can't all be used with whatever sensor you like. FWIW, the Megasquirt stuff comes ONLY with a 2.5bar sensor, as it provides good enough resolution for NA applications, and will take you up to 21psi of boost, which is usually enough to blow up most engines.

If the ECU you choose allows a lot of latitude, a 2 bar sensor is fine. A 3 bar sensor is also fine, as the resolution loss is, in practice, a non-issue.

On tin, I think Jake is working out (or has available) fiberglass 912E "tin". I'd use that to cut up for the turbo long before I cut up real 912E tin.
Britain Smith
I am running Electromotive TEC-3 system for my car which will take GM sensors. I will just go ahead and run the 3bar but I don't think I will ever get into that range. I didn't know about the 2.5bar...who makes those?

As for the engine tin, I will need mostly custom pieces to fit around the engine mount bar and the turbo. I will keep the cutting to a minimun if I do choose to use it.

-Britain
lapuwali
QUOTE (Britain Smith @ May 9 2005, 10:44 PM)
I am running Electromotive TEC-3 system for my car which will take GM sensors. I will just go ahead and run the 3bar but I don't think I will ever get into that range. I didn't know about the 2.5bar...who makes those?

As for the engine tin, I will need mostly custom pieces to fit around the engine mount bar and the turbo. I will keep the cutting to a minimun if I do choose to use it.

-Britain

Motorola MPX250 is the MAP sensor. It's a solder-onto-the-board part, not a separate box with its own connector.
Britain Smith
QUOTE (Sammy @ May 10 2005, 07:30 AM)
Engin tin is a good thing. Not only does it help keep the radiant heat from rising, it also forms a barrier between the hotter air that already cooled the engine, an the cooler air that hasn't had a chance to cool the engine yet.
If you take cool air and blow it through the engine, obviously it picks up BTUs. If you take that same air and blow it through again, it aint gonna pick up as much the second time, so it won't cool as much.
Just a thot.

Correct.

However, if everything is ceramic coated and the radiant heat is kept to a minimum then it is not as much of an issue.

-Britain
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.