Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intsalled Hella Supertone horns.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steuspeed
Installed Hella supertone horns. Plug and play. They came with a relay. I did not use it. Maybe install later?
ConeDodger
I have a set that I need to install as well. The hold up is, mine is a '75. I want to relocate the horns to behind the bumper. Need to have McMark weld flange nuts in there to mount them.

How do they sound? confused24.gif

w00t.gif
914dave
They are loud! 118 decibels. I thought mine was disconnected when I first energized the car. No ground wire. The ground wire must have been touching the hub. I reached thru the steering wheel to test the starter and hit the horn. Scared the crap out of me!!!
Inside a closed 20 x 20 garage. It will get people's attention.
Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
I put some on my 911, and am very impressed with the tone and volume they produce. I am planning on installing a set on my conversion car as well since I think that a loud horn and a high mounted third brake light are now required equipment to survive on today's roadways. I'm also searching how to use the fog lights as daytime running lights by somehow fitting them with LEDs. Anything to make the car more visible (besides the bright yellow paint).
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(914dave @ May 6 2017, 04:12 AM) *

They are loud! 118 decibels. I thought mine was disconnected when I first energized the car. No ground wire. The ground wire must have been touching the hub. I reached thru the steering wheel to test the starter and hit the horn. Scared the crap out of me!!!
Inside a closed 20 x 20 garage. It will get people's attention.
Click to view attachment

Hey, nice car color....and I just purchased a set of these from Amazon....am hoping they have that "euro" "bleet-bleet" Sound, will return them if it sounds like a Camry... blink.gif
Olympic 914
I got a set of the Hella Sharptones. haven't mounted them yet either.

They have the yellow grills, think I will paint them flat black before I install them though.

DRPHIL914
I also bought these last month but I have not installed them. mine is a 75 too,

and maybe more complicated because the p.o. put in an airhorn and has some crazy wiring that I hope I can back trace where they ran the wiring and relay for the airhorn where its located up under the drivers side cowl.

I do need to get this done tho, too much traffic around here and I need to be able to get their attention when they start to run me off the road! ive had a couple close calls recently mad.gif
glad to hear they are loud!
orthobiz
I assume they fit under the grilles....???

Paul
ConeDodger
QUOTE(orthobiz @ May 6 2017, 05:22 PM) *

Paul

Paul,
The horn body itself is the same size as the factory horn. They are prettier and LOUD!
jim_hoyland
Are these Hellas made in Germany ?
GeorgeRud
I don't think so anymore. There is a YouTube video where the fellow compares the horn's sound. The red Supertones have a different sound than the yellow Sharptones.
914dave
QUOTE(orthobiz @ May 6 2017, 04:22 PM) *

Paul

They fit.
VaccaRabite
Use the relay!
Cant stress this enough.
I put mine on without the relay, an then wired in the relay with a wire that went right to the battery with an inline fuse. The difference is HUGE.

The horns just draw more power then the stock horns, and your existing harness will be a bottleneck.

Zach
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 8 2017, 11:29 AM) *

Use the relay!
Cant stress this enough.
I put mine on without the relay, an then wired in the relay with a wire that went right to the battery with an inline fuse. The difference is HUGE.

The horns just draw more power then the stock horns, and your existing harness will be a bottleneck.

Zach

i think that is what my can has with the existimg aftermarket airhorn, would make it easier when i put these in, i should be able to use wiring thst is there- it has a relay next to horn. hm might be easier thanni thought
VaccaRabite

IPB Image

You can see how I mounted mine.

With the supertones, they are directional horns. They are a lot louder in the direction they are facing. So if they are placed facing towards the street, or off to the side, you are going to loose some of their effectiveness.

Also, if you don't use the relay, my experience is that the horns are not very loud, and they sound almost like they are winding up.

With the relay, and a fat gauge wire that goes to the battery to feed them, they are instantly LOUD. Which is what you want in a horn.

Mine make the people in front of me jump when I use them.

Zach
oakdalecurtis
The stock horn already has a relay, why would a second relay be necessary? If the wire to the factory horn is too light, couldn't you just increase that wire from the existing relay to the new horns?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ May 9 2017, 12:13 AM) *

The stock horn already has a relay, why would a second relay be necessary? If the wire to the factory horn is too light, couldn't you just increase that wire from the existing relay to the new horns?

You could, and maybe it would work just fine. But it does not run to the battery directly (IIRC), and that would be a lot of harness unwrapping to get to the wire in question. Its a LOT easier to just run a new wire, and a lot easier to pull that wire out if you want to go back to stock later.

Zach
DRPHIL914
put mine in today! passenger side was easy, plug and play.
not so easy on drivers side the nut holding it on was rusted pretty bad , snapped off- but not to get into too much detail, its mounted. i ised existing wiring- but in front trunk i had to reattach the wire to drivers side and the p.o. cut it tonwire up am air horn, but back to theway it should be now! rifht now im just rumning off thr original relay, and its very loud! nit sure why i would wite ina second relay
McMark
av-943.gif I had a dream about this thread last night. I was driving the 914 and had to honk at a crazy driver, but the honk that came out was pitiful, like a kitten's meow. And in my dream I remember thinking, "I'd better read that thread about the SuperTone horns, and install a set...."

Get outta my head 914World!!!!
LowBridge
I have mine mounted behind the 75 bumper without any issues... simple
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
steuspeed
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 6 2017, 06:08 AM) *

I put some on my 911, and am very impressed with the tone and volume they produce. I am planning on installing a set on my conversion car as well since I think that a loud horn and a high mounted third brake light are now required equipment to survive on today's roadways. I'm also searching how to use the fog lights as daytime running lights by somehow fitting them with LEDs. Anything to make the car more visible (besides the bright yellow paint).

Get the fog light upgrade from JWest Engineering. A plug and play upgrade so you can flash your fogs or run them with the pop-ups down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.