Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brand new Grant rings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
I was just putting new rings on my 96mm pistons. One of the lower compression rings just freaking snapped as I was fitting it. I was being quite careful. Now I am wondering about the integrity of the other rings. These are new Grants from AA, and of course, they are not open today so that I can give them a piece of my mind. Have Grants been suffering from poor QC?

I have two 96mm pistons with rings that appear to be in good shape. They are the correct size to fit on my running pistons. Think it would be ok to use the ring off one of my spare pistons?
Al Meredith
about a year ago I built 2 cylinder Ty 4 engine. I know "why would do such a thing" It runs fine and I installed it a Bradley hoping to get 50 MPG. I had 2 good 96MM AA pistons and cylinders left over from a rebuild so I used them in this project. I had to buy a complete set of rings from AA so I have 2 sets that I never used . I'll give you a good deal on them so you don't have to get 4 more sets. I am out of town now and can not ship until Thursday. Let me know what you think Al cell 770-616-3767
jeffdon
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ May 6 2017, 12:31 PM) *

about a year ago I built 2 cylinder Ty 4 engine. I know "why would do such a thing" It runs fine and I installed it a Bradley hoping to get 50 MPG. I had 2 good 96MM AA pistons and cylinders left over from a rebuild so I used them in this project. I had to buy a complete set of rings from AA so I have 2 sets that I never used . I'll give you a good deal on them so you don't have to get 4 more sets. I am out of town now and can not ship until Thursday. Let me know what you think Al cell 770-616-3767

Appreciate the offer, but I think I may go with the odd ring. Trying to get this together today.
porschetub
So you are going to blame the supplier for you breaking a ring dry.gif good luck on that one,by the way you weren't careful enough,yes you can fit an old oil control ring but I doubt anyone else here would,certainly I wouldn't.
You had a great friendly offer from Al and without any discussion this is your only sensible decision otherwise you will be unhappy (very) with yourself especially when you have to do it all over again.
Sorry this has happened to you but best if you sleep on it,have a beer,go for a jog or whatever helps you rethink/regroup,good luck and do it right ok beer.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.