Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stainless steel fuel line install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
I don't expect to win any awards, but this at least shows the process.

What you don't see here is the buckets o' crud I had to get out of the gas tank. All good now!

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDFsZoI_W3g
Jamie
QUOTE(cuddyk @ May 6 2017, 04:27 PM) *

What you don't see here is the buckets o' crud I had to get out of the gas tank. All good now!

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=IDFsZoI_W3g

This link appears to be for uploading to YTube, not directly to the video. I'm interested in seeing how you succeeded since I'm about to do the same mod.
iankarr
QUOTE(Jamie @ May 6 2017, 10:42 PM) *

QUOTE(cuddyk @ May 6 2017, 04:27 PM) *

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=IDFsZoI_W3g

This link appears to be for uploading to YTube, not directly to the video. I'm interested in seeing how you succeeded since I'm about to do the same mod.

Hopefully fixed now....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDFsZoI_W3g
raynekat
Nice job and nice video.
PlantMan
Great job!
iankarr
Thanks. Few notes...

– I bought 1 meter lengths of 7.5 x 12.5mm and 9.0 x 15.0mm cloth covered fuel lines from pelican for the final connections to the gas tank. More OEM and less prone to kinking. The coil method of installing the lines also helps to avoid kinking. 22" seems to be the ideal length.

– If, like me, you had to remove the pipes from the fuel tank to clean it, when you put them back, they should be at approximately the 2 o'clock position (if you're looking straight down at the tank from the top). This points them towards the access hole underneath the car.

– I also bought a short length of 12.0 x 17.0mm line to connect the fuel filter with the pump. IIRC, those are 13.0mm connections. The line supplied by Tangerine fits, but you need some force (I think they supply 10.0mm). 12.0 ID hose makes for an easier install when making that final fuel pump hookup under the car and there's little space or leverage.

– I've seen that some people remove the front grommet, then install it over the pipes in position. I found it pretty easy to leave the grommet in place, set the pipes in the holes and push them through. YMMV.

– Yes, I left the pump in the stock position and reused the original bracket. The PO did the ducted H/E mod and vapor lock doesn't seem to be an issue (yet, at least). So I figured I'd leave well enough alone. Next time I drop the engine, I'll probably mount the pump on the firewall. With the engine in place it's difficult to get enough leverage to drive self-tapping screws or drill pilot holes.

– Dave Darling rightly flagged that the NEGATIVE battery lead should be removed first.

Another great kit from Tangerine. Definitely recommended.
wndsnd
I have to say, I have watched a gazillion of these instructional videos and I thought you did a terrific job.

This upgrade from Tangerine I feel is a must for any car with the plastic hoses. If it is not necessary for leakage, it is definitely necessary for peace of mind. One of the first things you can do to your car, whether you have a 1.7, 1.8, six or conversion.

JawjaPorsche
Great job!
LowBridge
watched the video and gave it a thumbs up... solid video
JOEPROPER
I'm wondering how long it took. Start to finish???
iankarr
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ May 9 2017, 12:13 PM) *

I'm wondering how long it took. Start to finish???

Thanks all.

installing the lines took about 6 (honest) hours total. Including fumbling around with getting the pump mounted, making the electrical pigtails and trial-and-error getting the lines through the tunnel. A helper could easily shave a few hours.

shooting the video, cleaning the gas tank and waiting for the cloth covered hoses to arrive from pelican added about 5 days smile.gif
turk22
Enjoyed the video, and thought it was well done.

thanks for posting! beerchug.gif
913B
Hi, what siphon did you use ? i need to drain some stale gas out blink.gif

Thank you
iankarr
Just the HF siphon. I discovered that, because of the shape of the tank, it only really works with a decent amount of gas in there. For the rest, I pulled the supply line off the fuel pump and put the hose into the gas can to drain. If you have a spare pump you can also put some hose on it and mechanically drain the system. Regardless, there will always be a little you can't get to and gas will drip, so be super careful and make sure you have plenty of towels under the car with you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.