Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Temp sensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tjmrfe
Hello guys,
My 75' 1.8 needs a new oil temperature sender...so I try AA, they only list a different size, (shorter rod) & it's a 300 degrees unit, mine clearly says 200 degrees. It's a VDO
So I look @ Pelican and all the other sites, including eBay mad.gif and all are 300's which seem to be for the 6....
So, any ideas where I might find one? Or why all the ones I do find are 300's, do they not make them? I believe my gauge is set for 200. It's the VDO, non-numerical style with the red zone...
Thanks...
McMark
I've never seen one go bad. Try a different used one. Also make sure there's an electrical path for the sensor to ground. If you refinished the mounting plate, you may have eliminated the ground path.
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(McMark @ May 7 2017, 05:51 AM) *

I've never seen one go bad. Try a different used one. Also make sure there's an electrical path for the sensor to ground. If you refinished the mounting plate, you may have eliminated the ground path.

Mmm, thanks, what happens is, I run car for 60 seconds, it creeps up, and then pegs to full hot position and motor is most certainly not that hot...
And, I've cleaned plate and surrounding area...so, maybe my ground will be better now? thanks, I'll reinstall and see what happens...appreciate your input.
Spoke
QUOTE(Tjmrfe @ May 7 2017, 11:25 AM) *

Mmm, thanks, what happens is, I run car for 60 seconds, it creeps up, and then pegs to full hot position and motor is most certainly not that hot...

Does the needle creep up smoothly part way then instantaneously jump to full scale?

Or does it creep smoothly all the way up to full hot position?
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 7 2017, 08:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Tjmrfe @ May 7 2017, 11:25 AM) *

Does the needle creep up smoothly part way then instantaneously jump to full scale?

Or does it creep smoothly all the way up to full hot position?

Thanks, it goes in increments, as if it were in segments. When I turn off the key, it stays in the fully hot position also....
I looked at gauge thinking there might be a bind. It moves freely.
After I finish reinstalling the old sender, I'll check wiring, and consider replacing gauge.
Spoke
QUOTE(Tjmrfe @ May 8 2017, 08:41 AM) *

After I finish reinstalling the old sender, I'll check wiring, and consider replacing gauge.

If I understand this correctly, you're going to dump all the oil out of the engine, remove the taco plate with the sender, replace the sender, replace the taco plate, and refill with oil?

Why not just disconnect the wire to the installed sender, connect the old sender, use a jumper wire to ground the old sender, then heat the old sender with a heat gun/small torch and see if the gauge operates the same.
914Sixer
Very rare that the sensor is bad. Wire from sender is bad 99% of the time. Run a new jumper wire from the sender to the plug under the battery tray. Your trouble should go away.
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 9 2017, 03:34 AM) *

Very rare that the sensor is bad. Wire from sender is bad 99% of the time. Run a new jumper wire from the sender to the plug under the battery tray. Your trouble should go away.

Sounds like a plan, general consensus is, these things don't go...
Got the day off. And I'm running a temp. Thank you for the input....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.