Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT used cayenne any good for dd?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
Kind of thinking about getting rid of my 07 suburban as my DD with 190k on it i am starting to notice some wear. I was looking the other day at used suvs as i never buy new and noticed how cheap these are for as new as they are a 2011S can be had for about 13k with about 80k on them.

Any feedback?
jmitro
I don't like the styling, but for a DD with practicality, I think it's a great option. I have an 06 BMW X5 4.4i with 130k, and I love to drive it, but it's horrible for reliability. I've heard the Cayenne is much more reliable.
Front yard mechanic
I have a v6 and all is good except for the lousy drive shaft center carrier just a joke the s stands for slow driving-girl.gif
Tom_T
Ben,

You should go to 6speedonline & read the Cam Adjuster Bolt Failure & Transfer Case Failure topics under Cayenne 958 Forum (2011-17), although the V8 on ly runs through 2014 MY.

958 Forum -
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-958/

958 & Pano Snapped Cam Adj Bolts -
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne...cs-failure.html

958 & Xfer Case Issue -
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne...e-replaced.html

If you like black paint CayS's - & don't need a back-up camera &/or hitch - then you're good to go to find them, but much harder if you want any other color &/or options, as I have found now looking for 16 months! dry.gif

However, if you want a more bulletproof & cheaper/easier to maintain SUV for the longer term, then go with a Toyota Sequoyah or 4Runner!

PS - the above recco is from my Austrian born Porsche Tech of 42+ years, due to more labor & higher Porsche parts costs - so the CayS purchase price may be reasonable, but any repairs/maintenance will be typical Porsche prices & easily twice to do the same on the Toyotas. Unfortunately we have space limitations & a wife who won't drive a full size Pick-up/SUV, so a Sequoyah won't work as our "extra car" & tow vehicle as well as the mid-sized CayS SUV, & the CayS rides much nicer.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jmitro @ May 7 2017, 02:46 PM) *

I don't like the styling, but for a DD with practicality, I think it's a great option. I have an 06 BMW X5 4.4i with 130k, and I love to drive it, but it's horrible for reliability. I've heard the Cayenne is much more reliable.

Ours is at 160k. What issues have plagued you? We have an 05 4.4 with active suspension/sport suspension, Nav. Had a rear suspension sensor fail. tricked my mechanic for weeks. The Panoramic roof had the failed rear section venting. Clipped the plastic trip piece now it is in a fail safe mode. Operates 6" at a time like it is sensing something blocking it. Still works though. Did plugs and one ball joint.

Could never program the Bluetooth. WTF.gif confused24.gif
Unobtanium-inc
Parts can sometimes be very pricey. A friend recently bought a 2004 Cayenne Turbo, nice car. He needs to do the brakes, the parts alone are about $2800. He only paid $10,000 for the car. So just know that if you buy one that has around 100,000 miles you might get hit with some pricey fixes, if you're ok with that great, but go in with your eyes wide open.

Tom_T
PSS Ben -

I'd really recco you have a Porsche Dealer or Porsche Indie familiar with the Cayennes (&/or at least with the VW Touareg/Audi Q7 cousins) do a PPI on anything which you think may work for you, before buying - including putting it up on the lift.

For that reason, forget about CarMax, cuz they won't let you take nor will they take any car to get a PPI pre-purchase. They want you to first buy the car based upon their self-serving & generic "inspection" & a look see at their lot only (not much use IMHO), then buy it in order to get it inspected - & they tell you that you can return it within 5 days!

I say Bull Puckey! Who the hell in their right mind is going to pay $30-40K+ for a CayS or any car, then have to unwind the transaction, taxes, registration, insurance, etc. after the fact!? mad.gif

I don't know how they stay in business, except that there are probably far more dumb a car buyers out there who trust anybody, than smart ones who get things checked out first. huh.gif

So bottom line - look them over first & get a PPI on any good prospect(s), then get a written PPI report with prices to repair, & you can use that to negotiate a fair final price.

If you can find one at late-2012-14 MY, then you may avoid the cam bolt & Xfer Case problems.

Also - sheeplove.gif CarMax!

Not that I want any more competition, but then I'm looking for sub-60K miles ore much less, & you seem to be looking at 80K-ish.

GLWTB! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Porscheguy912
My 2005 turbo keeps me smiling each day.
HansJan
Sold my 2004 Turbo last year.
The car hardly aged while I had it. Exterior and interior kept looking good.
The seats were comfortable and had good support.
Car had great power and good handling.
And it can tow everything.

The problem I find with this car is that is it's basically a very large sportcar.
Very firm suspension (even in softest setting), making it uncomfortable for a family roadtrip. Most people carry all kinds of stuff in their SUV's, which will fly all over when cornering at high speed. So why have a car that invites you to do so?

Items that I had to replace were:
Aircomprosser for suspension.
Replace plastic for aluminum air-intake pipes.

Sold it, when hydraulic oil started leaking through a seal in the transmission at around 90K miles. This would have costed me around $3K to have it fixed.

The one thing I never liked was the turbo-lag. In traffic situations where a quick responce can make a difference this car was failing.
Understand that you are considering an S, and not a Turbo, which might be a bit milder.

Good luck.

Andyrew
Ive been wanting a first gen for a town car/tow car for about a year and a half and what I have seen is that for a loaded car with all the expensive maintenance done is about 10k for a first gen S.

I would LOVE a Turbo, but I've had nothing but turbo cars and I really dont need that...

I still havent been able to convince the wife to let me plunk down 10k though... Maybe another year...
jrblackbox
Love my 04 S, it is a beast in the snow. Sure there are issues, but they are all known and can be all fixed by the average DIYer. I would suggest to locate one with the air suspension.
N_Jay
Not a P-Car, but have a 04 Touareg 4.2 with air suspension and locking diffs.

Car is a beast for towing, goes in the snow, carries a ton, and is still fun when you push the go-peddle.
Tom_T
A few more things to consider:

Series 1 V8's Plastic Coolant Pipes Problem -

If you're looking at any of the V8 powered 2003-06 (no 07 MY) Series 1 955 Cayenne S, GTS, Turbo, Turbo S - then you REALLY need to make sure that the plastic coolant pipe upgrade to Aluminum Pipes TSB/WS was done already on them (& possibly on the V6 too, which is the VW VR6 - but I never researched them).

There was a class action lawsuit on this which Porsche settled in such a way that if the calim wasn't made by Dec. 2015 by the OO or a later owner with a Porsche CPO - then anything later & all subsequent owners after the above were SOL.

Porsche pulled the same sort of legal settlement stop-loss with this issue, as the pulled with the IMS problem! mad.gif

Basically the pipes crack with time/heat & leak into the V8 valley, then down into the engine/trans seal - thus destroying the trans & starter & more! blink.gif

The noted trans seal leak noted in the post above - if on the V8 - may be the first tell that you have a bigger problem inside!! yikes.gif

IIRC it's a $5-8,000+/- coolant pipes only job that requires the engine to be dropped IIRC - if done on your own - & total engine &/or trans replacement in the $10s of 1000s if the damage is already done! sad.gif

In 2015 off-n-on we were looking for the 2006 Titanium Ed. CayS in their Iceland Silver (see pic at bottom), & had a likely candidate in negotiations in Nov. - when the seller balked at taking it in to the P-dealer for having the 100% Porsche covered fix done as the 2nd owner under a CPO (expired, but pipes covered under settlement) before the settlement stop date (12/14/15 IIRC) -& then I talked to his SM to verify, but got talked out of S1 & into the S2 `08 or later due to other issues which I noted in a prior post above. That seller in Salinas did eventuality get them done before it expired & recontacted me in Feb. 2016, but by then we were already looking at a 2010 & exclusively for 2008-14 957 or 958 CS's.

If you're looking at an `03-06.5 Series 1 Cayenne V8, ask if the coolant pipes were done, & if so when & if the trans, starter, etc. were also checked out & replaced or repaired if needed. If yes, continue with caution on the other issues, then PPI if it seems a good candidate. If not done, then unless you own a shop & get a huge parts discount - run - not walk - away IMHO!

And if you own a 955 V8 & haven't done anything about the coolant pipes, then I strongly advise that you get them replaced & have it checked for ancillary damage first - in which case pass & sell it if it's gone too far by now.

Otherwise, it's a time bomb waiting to trash your car, & the failure is known to occur with low or high miles, & at any time in age - which is why Porsche could play the settlement limiting game, claiming that age/miles by now, that the early & later owners have gotten their money's worth by now to the judge! dry.gif

A note on Cayenne 2007 MY -

Due to the 955 S1 V8 coolant pipe problem, rear hatch & "Ameba" headlamp unit problems, cardran shaft/mid-bearing & upper control arm bushings issues, etc. - Porsche never produced a 2007 MY Cayenne. They basically skipped it.

Instead - the produced an extended MY 2006 Titanium Edition CayS only - & only in 4 colors: Black, Red, Marine Blue & Iceland Silver, with Titanium trim & wheels, & 2-tone black-gray or black-tan interiors - which were produced for the July - Dec. 2006 half of the 2007 MY. It was a continuation of the 2003-06 S1 955, with all of the noted issues, including the 4.5L V8's plastic coolant pipes. Call it a 955.5!

Then they did an early release of the 2008 957 Cayennes in Jan 2007 - so the 2008's are a longer 18 month MY, & you'll find some "older than normal" `08s out there. However, the early & late 2008's had all of the 957 upgrades - including the switch to metal coolant pipes (mostly) on the new larger 4.8L V8s, improved rear hatch & headlight designs, etc. However, it kept the earlier 955's PCM, Audio & Nav systems. Call it 957.1!

In 2009 they upgraded to the next

Air Suspension -

The US only requires parts support for 10 years & Germany for 15 yrs. IIRC - so at some point the early Series 1 Cayennes will lack parts & you'll be hunting for replacement bags, pumps, sensors, etc. .... then the Ser. 1.5 (957) then Ser. 2.1 (958), etc. will reach that age.

So if you're buying into 10> yrs. old ones, you may want to think on that. If you don't need the air susp. & like the steel sprung suspension's ride enough - why add complication & potential maintenance expense/complications & parts NLA issues?

Turbo -

If you're towing, you'll get far worse mpg with that CTT, than a normally aspirated V8 - the CS is still a very fast SPORT utility vehicle! driving.gif driving-girl.gif

I've also heard from the Cay/Treg/Q7 subgroup on Airstream Forums, that the V8 Turbo seems to hunt for shifts more while towing, possibly due to the CTT ECU & Trans control settings being more race-like. Some have said Sport mode helps.

Note that the GTS also has a normally aspirated V8, but comes with air susp. standard & the "turbo-look" front grill, & all Turbo & Turbo S models come with air susp.

V6 -

If your primary mission will be towing (as is for ours), then the Gas V6 & Hybrid V6 will get worse mpg while hitched, than the normally aspirated V8 - & you only lose about 1-2 mpg over the V6 when not towing city/hwy/avg.

However, there are FAR more V6s out there to buy, & their price range is a bit lower.

Plus ALL engine versions have the same tow rating 7716# GTW/770# HW (2011> is a tad lower near 7000/700 IIRC) - except for the Hybrid, which is a bit lower due to extra Hybrid system wt. This is the same for Tregs, & the Q7 loses about 700-1000 off that due to it being a bit longer 3rd row seating added wt.

V6 TDI -

Monster Torque & pulling/towing power, but suffers from "Diesel-gate" issues, & the proposed fix will probably change at least some aspects of the way it drives (the 4 cyl. 2.0 TDI already has complaints about the changes made in UK & Europe).

Everyone with a Cay TDI whom I know just loves them - especially for towing! It actually gets better mpg either towing than the V8, or unhitched than the Hybrid, & pulls on grades towing better than the CTT/CTTS.

However, be aware that the regular maintenance costs - even oil changes - will cost you much more than the gas engines.

My long time Porsche mechanic thinks they're excellent engineering, but feels that V/A/P will just wash their hands of them once the parts run out & they're in the clear of supporting them, & the enforcement folks start to forget D-gate.

VW Treg & Audi Q7 had the V6 TDI around 2011 IIRC, but the CayTDI didn't come out until 2013, & all stopped delivery with the 2015s due to D-gate.

With the settlement now pending final approval, they've started selling off the new 2015s which have been held in stock by the dealers since the D-gate news broke & Porsche halted sales, but they are pricing them very high IMHO for what is now basically an extremely low mile 3 year old used car.

V10 TDI Treg -

A monster 5.0L V10 TDI based on the Audi race engine - in fact these helped Audi homologate their Le Mans V10 TDI - with TQ at almost 1000! IIRC they were a low production sub-model Treg only during 2004-10, so they're getting up there in age & miles now. Also more expensive to maintain, but never part of D-gate.

For some eye opening fun - go google Utube for the Treg V10 TDI vs. Dodge RAM 2500 TDI pull off! happy11.gif

Spusal Approval & Family Road Trips -

Unless you're totally spoiled by cushy magic carpet rides in Luxe cars - IMHO the Cayenne is not a harsh ride for long trips - especially as compared to any other comparable or bigger SUV by any other mfgr.

In fact, when we test drove the upper end premium & lux V8 offerings of Toyota & Lexus, we were severely disappointed. The highly optioned 2013 Lexus GX460 had seat as hard as church pews, the body lean was horrific in "S maneuvers" (as in collision or hazard avoidance), & it was a truck over the bumps - & that was within the first mile or two in town that my wife vetoed it!!

So take you wife/SO/GF out in some body-on-frame truck based SUVs from any of the US or Japanese makers first, then in the Cayenne & over the same roads - it will probably sell itself! driving-girl.gif cheer.gif

If you need seating for more than 5 &/or more luggage space than the Cay/Treg offer - then the likely move is up to the 7-8 passenger 3 row Audi Q7, which also has a cushier ride than it's 2 cousins.

You can also do a cut & paste photo with your trailer or just google pix for your wife/SO to see, if she needs "selling" on the Cayenne before allowing you to look at them (Andyrew et al).

I did this one to see if my wife even liked the 2006 CS Titanium Ed. in Iceland Silver (very close to my 85 BMW 325e E30 in Cosmos Blue BTW), back before we started looking for this specific color/version in 2015.

Click to view attachment
........ our trailer is a restored vintage 1960 Avion T20 - #2 off the line, which we take to vintage trailer rallies & car shows, etc. -^

For the BMW X5 folks on here, those are worse than Porsche Cayenne by a long shot, according to most owners that I've talked with, as well as a rousing NO! from my mechanic Hans!

In my estimation, the bigger brakes, stiffer suspension & more power of the Cayenne S - over the equivalent V8 Treg & Q7 cousins was a plus - since we're empty nesters now & will primarily be taking it on towing road trips, plus it's a fun car for Porsche Club events & drives too.

As you can tell, I've spent far too much time researching & searching for our tow vehicle/extra fun car - before settling on the 08-14 CayS, but am happy to share my findings & opinions, & that of others with them already or working on them.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
Keep the suburban. It's just starting to get broken in.
Find a second, smaller car to drive, when it's just you, that you can give to your teenager when they're ready.
Make more cool stuff.
biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Hans Jan @ May 7 2017, 08:47 PM) *

Most people carry all kinds of stuff in their SUV's, which will fly all over when cornering at high speed. So why have a car that invites you to do so?

BTW - they do sell a cargo management tie-downs/net & a protective grill for between the rear cargo area & seating area of the cabin thru Porsche Techquipment, as well as aftermarket ones.

IMHO this is a requirement in any SUV/CUV, Van or other vehicle with the cargo area open to the passenger area - use tie-downs/cargo nets &/or the grill dealie - cuz the cargo becomes projectiles upon braking & accidents - even with the more mundane vehicles!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mb911
My suburban is about due for a new ls engine has burned oil since 35k and now it fouls plugs out regularly.. I suppose I can swap an engine in this summer.. I guess it would be cheaper in the long run from what i read.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.