I'm posting this for other 914 enthusiasts that may also be building their tool collection in relation to doing the rear drop link install. I found myself with out a C-clamp and needing to install them I looked around for ideas.

Starting with the bottom connection on the lower strut bolt, I grabbed a fender washer and a pair of regular vice-grips. I positioned a link bushing on the ball, with the body of the link going up (basically in the orientation it will be in when fully installed). I then angled the link forward. Placed the washer on the back of the bushing (to protect it from the grips). Put the top of the grips on the washer and the bottom of the grips on the ball. Squeeze. If the grips are adjusted such that it doesn't close enough to seat the bushing fully on the ball, tighten the grips a bit and try again. Watch your fingers and don't let the grips slip off the ball. After a few tries, it popped into place.

The top bushing was easier. I used an open-end wrench to hold the sway bar in place. Then placed another wrench in front of the link but behind the rear strut. Pulling with my right hand, using the strut body as the fulcrum, and pushing with my left hand I turned the wrench into a lever. The bushing popped right onto the sway bar with little effort. This was for the passenger side, the driver side was opposite, so I pulled with my left and pushed with my right.

I hope this helps. Oh, and here's a pic, for the visually dependent.

Click to view attachment