Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Brain Teaser
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dcecc1968
First off, let me get this out of the way... YES I own a minivan and a 914.

Getting ready to install a hitch receiver on the minivan in preparation for the family vacation and saw a mistake in the installation instructions....... can you spot it?
Click to view attachment
Frankvw
Well..aside from an error....at least you get to use the 18mm spanner/wrench....i do not think i did ever use it...always wondered what it was for.... smile.gif

Ps is fascia not a wooden thingie ? Not a lot of wood on a honda i thought ?
Tom_T
Dunno, unless you mean no frame rail in a unibody vehicle? confused24.gif

Also, some words of towing caution for your Odessy.

IIRC the Odessy only has a 1500 lb. tow rating standard, & then only 3000 or 3500 lbs. ONLY IF it has the factory tow option - which would've upgraded the engine, AT etc. coolant systems, suspension, etc.

Either way 1500 or 30000-3500 is a pretty light & small trailer load.

So make sure what ever you're planning to tow fits whichever Oddessy rating you have, or return the hitch to UHaul unused for full refund.

FYI alternatively - if it's not rated for your trailer, then you can rent a legally/contractually towable crewcab F250 or RAM2500 from Enterprise Commercial (not their car rental arm) - they have both short & long beds (you may be able to rent/borrow a plain shell or tonneau type cover to cover-up your cargo in the bed), some have back-up cameras - so request it if you need one, & it will have the dual 4-pin & 7-blade electrical connector box & a 2.5" or 3" receiver - so ask for the adapter sleeve to 2' from them, & you'll need the proper drop hitch bar (the F250's receiver is set at 2-3" lower than the RAM2500, so I request the Ford). With front & rear bench seats, you can pack 6 in the crew cab, & luggage in the bed or trailer.

Be aware that nowadays in their rental contracts, they categorically disallow towing with any typical car rental place - e.g.: Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, etc. - even if the SUV?Truck is so equipped - so your car insurance won't cover you if something happens.

Also, UHaul only has 4-pin electrical connectors on their pick-ups, so they cannot run the electric brakes on your trailer (most states require brakes over 1500 lbs or so GTW trailers, UHaul's trailers all use surge brakes) - not to mention no crew cabs.

When we got our vintage 1960 Avion T20 trailer in 2012, I thought that we could just rent from any car rental place & not have to buy a tow vehicle, but had a rude awakening! So we rented since then via a Toyota program no longer available (or few places still do it) in 2013, & with Ent. Comml. from 2014 to now, but we're looking to get a Cayenne S to tow with as our own.

The trucks are trucks, but fairly nice, even if they won't ride as nice as your Odessy nor our eventual CayS.

Here's the typical one with our trailer FYI - fairly nice low key trucks without advertising decals -

Click to view attachment

OK - Icna't rotate this cuz it shows it correctly horizontal on my photo viewer, & it's one of the RAM2500's with long bed IIR, but you get the idea. dry.gif

SAfe & Fun Travels! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
TheCabinetmaker
Facia just means a covering. As in facia board. It "covers" the end of the rafters. It can be of any material. The bumper "covers" on modern cars are considered a facia. Also a medical term
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.