Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mating a 3.0 SC engine to a 73 914 901 - Flywheel/clutch Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RichPugh
So, I'm doing an SC 3.0 swap and I plan on keeping my original side shift 901. Most of the searching I've done comes up with statements like "You'll need a special flywheel... Go with so-and-so's".

I read this in a thread recently - "The flywheel from a '70 to '86 911 can be used with the clutch components from a '70 or '71".

My questions are:

1. Can I simply use the SC flywheel and mate everything up using the existing 901 clutch components?
2. If not, is there a stock OR aftermarket flywheel that will allow the SC engine to work with the 73 914 901 trans AND clutch components? (I have a brand new clutch kit)
3. If I need to go with a special flywheel (PMS? KEP still avail?), will I need to use a different clutch assembly?

- Rich
Larmo63
Call Kennedy and ask their opinion. James Patrick can tell you too, but I think he may source his flywheels for these installs from Kennedy.
db9146
Kennedy.

I am putting a 2.7S in front of a 901 and Kennedy suggested one of their 228M Bus Stage 2 kits for the anticipated hp and for a little lower pedal effort. I would expect that they would have something similar for a 3.0.

I don't have any feedback for you yet.
Krieger
You use your SC flywheel and the Kennedy "ring". It bolts to your SC flywheel. I don't think your clutch package will work. Sell it. Buy the kennedy 228 mm pressure plate, clutch and throw out bearing. I have run this for a few years on the street and track. It works very nicely.
Dave_Darling
The flywheel from the 72+ 911 does not fit into a 901-derived transmission (that includes our 914 transmissions) correctly.

The 72-~86 flywheel has nine bolts holding it onto the crank. The flywheels that work with the 901-based transmission have six bolts that hold them onto the crank.

You need to get a flywheel that fits a 901 but also bolts to an SC crank. Kennedy makes one. I have heard of people welding up the holes in the early 911 flywheel and re-drilling for the nine-bolt pattern, but most of us can't do that work to the precision needed.

There may be a way to just change out the flywheel ring gear of the SC-type flywheel to make it work in a 901, but I am much less sure about that.

The easy button: Get it from Kennedy.

--DD
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 9 2017, 12:10 AM) *

The flywheel from the 72+ 911 does not fit into a 901-derived transmission (that includes our 914 transmissions) correctly.

The 72-~86 flywheel has nine bolts holding it onto the crank. The flywheels that work with the 901-based transmission have six bolts that hold them onto the crank.

You need to get a flywheel that fits a 901 but also bolts to an SC crank. Kennedy makes one. I have heard of people welding up the holes in the early 911 flywheel and re-drilling for the nine-bolt pattern, but most of us can't do that work to the precision needed.

There may be a way to just change out the flywheel ring gear of the SC-type flywheel to make it work in a 901, but I am much less sure about that.

The easy button: Get it from Kennedy.

--DD

Hope that was a brain fart Dave,

Up to 2.7 so '72-77 would still be a 6-bolt flywheel and you could just buy the early flywheel and use the stock 215mm /4 clutch.
Dave may have been thinking 72-77 if you keep the stock 911 flywheel you could use the adapter assembly.

But for the OP, yes the flywheel is 9 bolt and you need an adapter assembly.

I made my own conversion clutch assembly for my 3.0 SC engine, but the Kennedy unit is basically the same, it uses an adapter ring and a HD VW 228mm bus pressure plate and disc.
You could make a adapter ring that uses stock clutch (215mm), but the 3.0 really needs the bigger clutch (225mm-228mm). Sell your new stock 215mm clutch stuff and get the KEP goodies.

Below is my stock late 3.0 flywheel, adapter ring and 228mm HD bus pressure plate.

IPB Image
IPB Image
Beach914
I'm doing the same thing and Kennedy said you have two options for the 9 bolt flywheel, buy their 228mm Flywheel complete or buy the ring for the SC Flywheel. $130 difference.

For the clutch package they suggested I go with the Stage II Street Kit.

I was going to call and order it today.
rgalla9146
This can be done this using a standard 3.0 flywheel and the pull type pressure plate and starter ring that goes with it. Get the aluminum PP if possible.
You'll need the '70- '71 911 2.2 throw out bearing and the clutch release fork and pivot ball that goes with it.
The position of the fork ball pivot in the bellhousing will have to be moved too.
This has to be done accurately but is far less involved than re-machining the bolt pattern of a flywheel.
This machine work should include a steel thread insert for the pivot ball.
When installing the trans onto the engine the throw out bearing has to be rotated to the correct position to engage the 'pull type' arm just as it is done on a '70-'71 911.
An early 911 clutch cable completes the adaptation.
RichPugh
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 9 2017, 11:32 AM) *

This can be done this using a standard 3.0 flywheel and the pull type pressure plate and starter ring that goes with it. Get the aluminum PP if possible.
You'll need the '70- '71 911 2.2 throw out bearing and the clutch release fork and pivot ball that goes with it.
The position of the fork ball pivot in the bellhousing will have to be moved too.
This has to be done accurately but is far less involved than re-machining the bolt pattern of a flywheel.
This machine work should include a steel thread insert for the pivot ball.
When installing the trans onto the engine the throw out bearing has to be rotated to the correct position to engage the 'pull type' arm just as it is done on a '70-'71 911.
An early 911 clutch cable completes the adaptation.

This seems complicated... but thank you for this info.

QUOTE(Krieger @ May 9 2017, 12:05 AM) *

You use your SC flywheel and the Kennedy "ring". It bolts to your SC flywheel. I don't think your clutch package will work. Sell it. Buy the kennedy 228 mm pressure plate, clutch and throw out bearing. I have run this for a few years on the street and track. It works very nicely.

This seems simple. Thank you as well smile.gif

Thanks to everyone for the info. I think I'll just do the KEP flywheel/ring and 228mm clutch set.

Jeffs9146
agree.gif

I just used the Kennedy Ring method and it has been working for years on my 83 3.0L conversion.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.