Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Camber Shims - What Thickness Do I Need?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
Subject pretty well says it all - Search button no help here.

I know there are 3 thicknesses, but does anyone know how much adjustment results from each?

eeyore
I put about a touch less than a 1/4 degree additional negative camber into my car by removing a .85" shim. So I figure somewhere in the .170-.200 range.
mike_the_man
I'm getting an alignment this week, and I just happened to look into this.

1mm of shim thickness = 10minutes of positive camber.

Hope that helps.

eeyore
So...
1mm = 10 minutes, 60 minutes = 1 degree, 6mm = 1 degree?

Therefore
3mm = .5 degree. 3 / 25.4 = .118"?
J P Stein
Off the top of my head.
Length of ear to outter mount is 12 in (I'd double check this number). 12 X tan of .5 deg (.008726) = .104722 in.
SirAndy
QUOTE (J P Stein @ May 10 2005, 08:15 AM)
Length of ear to outter mount is 12 in (I'd double check this number). 12 X tan of .5 deg (.008726) = .104722 in.

wacko.gif
guys, ever thought about using metric? it would make your live soooo much easier.

besides, the shims are measured in mm anyways.
wink.gif Andy
skline
You guys impress me with your math skills, good to know people use thier minds. I thought it was a lost art.
mike_the_man
Ya, what Andy said! Metric rocks!!!
eeyore
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 10 2005, 09:22 AM)
ever thought about using metric?

Boo! alfred.gif
Joseph Mills
Thanks guys. Just the info I needed for this evening's project. smilie_pokal.gif

And even though I own a metric ruler, I'm stayin' away from the political side of this debate. biggrin.gif
E-Man
Not me.

Roslyn Carter tried to get Jimmy to have the US adopt the millimeter system. biggrin.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 10 2005, 08:22 AM)

guys, ever thought about using metric? it would make your live soooo much easier.

No. You had your chance to convert us, but blew it.

We don't use German, Spanish, or French as our native language either....I spose you have a problem with that also.
SirAndy
QUOTE (J P Stein @ May 10 2005, 10:24 AM)
No. You had your chance to convert us, but blew it.
We don't use German, Spanish, or French as our native language either....I spose you have a problem with that also.

actually, you're misinformed ...

your country (the US of A) switched *officially* to the metric system a looooong time ago.
if memory serves me right, that was in 1978 (could be off by a few years, i'm still trying to forget that part of my life)

i suppose they simply forgot to tell ya'all ...
biggrin.gif Andy
SirAndy
a quick search revealed this:

http://ts.nist.gov/ts/htdocs/200/202/lc1136a.htm

ok, so it was 1975 and not 1978. oh well. i was close tho ...
flag.gif Andy
J P Stein
You are misinformed on my being misinformed. I lived thru the debte and the result.

MattR
Metric is easy when it comes to length (its just Xmm * .0393716 = Y in). What I hate is when you're expected to know the metric and SI units of Force, AND the two constants in different equations. Now thats just excessive...
Engman
Typicially what I have seen is 1 mm = about .25 degress. That was a couple of years ago when I had mine done.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.