Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ALTERNATOR BELT BLOWING OFF
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GBallantine
Did a test and tune track day on Sat. with my new resto 2.0 /4 vintage race 914. The car ran strong except that it kept kicking off the alternator belt into the fan motor. Checked and replaced the belt, checked the alignment but same problem. Is there any type of belt tensioner available or is there a simpler fix.

GB
SirAndy
QUOTE (GBallantine @ May 10 2005, 08:03 AM)
Is there any type of belt tensioner available or is there a simpler fix.

the alternator itself is the belt tensioner. losen the nut for the alternator and pry it towards the drivers side (with the belt on) until the tension of the belt is good, then re-torque the bolt ...

wink.gif Andy
SLITS
And if you haven't....check for a broken mount (upper tensioner). It's a piece of thin metal and breaks...uh huh, uh huh......
JoeSharp
If its a track car why run the alt?
biggrin.gif Joe
Dave_Darling
Some suggestions--

Try using the "solid" belts, rather than the ones with "teeth".

Try some "belt dressing" on them--that may help them to slide along inside the pulleys rather than popping out.

Try not to hit the rev-limiter.

Re-check the alignment of the alternator pulley and fan pulley. I know you checked it, but this was what finally worked out for me. I just f--ed with the alternator lower bracket a bunch of times (PITA!) and then the thing stopped throwing belts.

--DD
KenH
I had trouble when I used a "Auto Store" replacment.

Fixed the problem by using an OEM replacment from Peilican.

There is a slight difference in size from between a "after-market" belt and an OEM belt.

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.