Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Empi Fuchs replicas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gaocs
Hi

Has anyone got the Empi Fuchs replicas, such as these: http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Empi-91...N-REPI9681.html ?

If so, what is the quality like? I've seen some that are cheaper but they are really shiny and look a bit tacky. I was wondering if these are more subtle because of the price.

Any comments from anyone with them would be appreciated...
burton73
I think you should get some real ones. They are stronger and just look correct. The painted in my option say this is a fake wheel. After some time you will appreciate the fact that you have a forged wheel. If you ever wanted to change up, you would have some wheels that are worth what you spent on them.

Plus how much is it going to cost to get them to you?

Bob B
Click to view attachment
gaocs
QUOTE(burton73 @ May 11 2017, 04:11 PM) *

I think you should get some real ones. They are stronger and just look correct. The painted in my option say this is a fake wheel. After some time you will appreciate the fact that you have a forged wheel. If you ever wanted to change up, you would have some wheels that are worth what you spent on them.

Plus how much is it going to cost to get them to you?

Bob

Yes, I would love to get some real ones but they never come up for sale over here. I see some in the US occasionally but the shipping cost is more than the wheels cost!
burton73
I had no idea you could get copies in the UK. You’re right it cost a fortune to ship them there. I have seen some copies in a full polish. Can you get those in the UK?

Bob B
Valy
The replicas have a different offset AFAIK.
rhodyguy
** has them overpriced by about $60 per wheel. ** will probably rape you with shipping AND HANDLING charges. Beware, inquire about what your ACTUAL TOTAL cost will be prior to ordering.
cwpeden
Over priced for sure. But if you had your heart set on them and they are the right offset: https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?Prod...32%2DLIT413%2DB

$125CDN = $91US = 70GBP

Still not going to save on shipping though
rhodyguy
Is the VAT the same whether shipped from Canada or the U.S.?
yellow75
I have them (Empi) on my car. They fit fine. Offset is the same. The only thing you need to be aware of is the length of the wheel bolts they send with the wheels. They are 26MM in length, for a VW Beetle. They work in the front, but because the hub in the rear is the threaded part and not the rotor, they will not work in the rear. You need a set of 38mm lug bolts for safety. 40 is too long you will end up cutting them as they hit the axle bearing housing. Do all 4 wheels as the lugs you will find are 17mm heads and the originals and the VW lugs are 19mm

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(cwpeden @ May 12 2017, 09:33 AM) *

Over priced for sure. But if you had your heart set on them and they are the right offset: https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?Prod...32%2DLIT413%2DB

$125CDN = $91US = 70GBP

Still not going to save on shipping though

Picking nits $89.99 USD, it says order international through it's US website.

Cip is a Canadian company in Delta BC, but it has a warehouse just across the border in Blane Washington. It been around 30-40 years.

Below is the same as above but in USD.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...de=C32-LIT413-B
Rand
Black paint should never touch the 4-lug Fuchs' style. Instant fakey Mattel hotwheels turnoff.
Just a cranky opinion. To each his own.
rhodyguy
The $ dif between the 2 vendors will go along way towards shipping international. Cip1 has some other nice looking cast wheels. The 4 lug burner repops look good on a 914.
Larmo63
I hate fake shit and painted Fuchs look terrible.

Go real and leave them unpainted.

Another cranky opinion.
branston
QUOTE(gaocs @ May 11 2017, 10:49 AM) *

Hi

Has anyone got the Empi Fuchs replicas, such as these: http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Empi-91...N-REPI9681.html ?

If so, what is the quality like? I've seen some that are cheaper but they are really shiny and look a bit tacky. I was wondering if these are more subtle because of the price.

if you're in the UK VW heritage has the same wheels here:Click to view attachment
eitnurg
Is the VAT the same whether shipped from Canada or the U.S.?

VAT is a UK tax so it's the same wherever the goods come from.

You will pay:
a) the ex-works cost of the goods
b) freight cost
c) cost of UK customs clearance agent
d) duty on the landed cost (ie, a + b + c): it was about 10% last time I looked.
e) VAT of 20% on all the above: ie, a, b, c and d. (Yes in the case of d you're paying tax on a tax, even though they maintain it's different as it's a "Duty")

That's why any saving on the freight cost is so important: it has effects all the way down the line. If you do decide to go this route, don't use FedEx or UPS and above all don't let them go anywhere near an aeroplane.

Unfortunately all this is applied in the country of destination: most places will be different and it's extremely unlikely that the sender will know anything about it: they don't have to.
Coondog
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 12 2017, 07:07 PM) *

Another cranky opinion.

Tell me again why you hate fake............ bs.gif
Click to view attachment
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Coondog @ May 13 2017, 07:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 12 2017, 07:07 PM) *

Another cranky opinion.

av-943.gif
rgalla9146
Is that Heidi on the left ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Coondog @ May 13 2017, 04:48 AM) *

Because why would you want a plastic replica if you can have the real thing?

The real thing looks better, feels better and is cheaper ...
rolleyes.gif
cwpeden
Oh! I forgot Kinky Mick! https://www.kinkymicks.com/

They have some unique stuff and 'local' to you. yada yada offset yada.
rhodyguy
325 sterling for a set of Rivs. YIPES!
MAD914
Machine7.com has them, and is based in the U.K. They've got lug bolts too.
I've actually had them ship stuff to the U.S., and they were good to deal with.
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(yellow75 @ May 12 2017, 04:48 PM) *

I have them (Empi) on my car. They fit fine. Offset is the same. The only thing you need to be aware of is the length of the wheel bolts they send with the wheels. They are 26MM in length, for a VW Beetle. They work in the front, but because the hub in the rear is the threaded part and not the rotor, they will not work in the rear. You need a set of 38mm lug bolts for safety. 40 is too long you will end up cutting them as they hit the axle bearing housing. Do all 4 wheels as the lugs you will find are 17mm heads and the originals and the VW lugs are 19mm

Click to view attachment

Thanks for posting the pics and the information about the lugs. I happened to post a question about empi wheels last week: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=309054&hl=. They look good, in spite of what a couple of the "contributors" had to say about your pride and joy. What size tires are on there?

@Coondog, well done sir! biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
One good thing about the replicas--they're not 40 years old, with an unknown number of miles and wear and tear on them. We have seen failures in the five-bolt Fuchs wheels, especially after track use.

That said, I'm not a fan of the painted look on these four-lug wheels.

--DD
Larmo63
My girlfriend asked me why guys like big fake boobs. I told her, we don't really care as long as they feel reasonably real, look even, and are somewhat tight.

We don't give a shit, we're men.
Big Len
You guys who don't like the look of these wheels - The OP wasn't asking for your opinions on the visuals. He was asking anyone who owned them how was the quality. Geez, we're getting snooty on wheels now? Sounds like a few past 911 guys who never liked the 914.

Rand
I'm hardly snooty on wheels!! I'd rather see some old crusty cookie cutters on adapters than fake painted 4-paddles. No matter, it's all just opinions, and half the fun is BSing around the garage. Don't take it too serious. We're all in the same garage here.

All that aside, I think all the input around here is worth listening to. You'll notice it's pretty seriously swaying AWAY from the fakies. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
The dif between repops and oem fuch wheels buys a lot of suspention. Wheels In need of refinish and possibly straightening? Ouch...the black paint can be removed and then painted to look like factory finish. No one will know the dif at 60mph. Or spend a bit more and go with the full polish.
gaocs
QUOTE(yellow75 @ May 12 2017, 09:48 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the advice
gaocs
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 13 2017, 12:08 AM) *

The $ dif between the 2 vendors will go along way towards shipping international. Cip1 has some other nice looking cast wheels. The 4 lug burner repops look good on a 914.

Thanks
gaocs
Thanks for all the advice, views and stuff. I agree that originals would be better, but finding them (whetehr Fuchs, Mahles, or even original steelies) is almost impossible. Buying in the US then adds transport costs and import duties and suddenly I am looking at over £1200 (about $1500) for a set of wheels as a minimum.

My other option is to refurb the original Riviera's that are on it. At least they are then original, and it opens up a whole other conversation about Riviera's biggrin.gif

Thanks again for the input, I love the response from everyone on here beerchug.gif
LowBridge
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 13 2017, 09:46 PM) *

My girlfriend asked me why guys like big fake boobs. I told her, we don't really care as long as they feel reasonably real, look even, and are somewhat tight.

av-943.gif pray.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 13 2017, 06:46 PM) *

In that case, i'm not a man.
idea.gif

Can't stand the plastic ...
icon8.gif
Dave_Darling
Never had a chance to put hands on them. I know that the ones you can tell by looking are fake are ones I don't particularly like, but then again if someone was willing to share them with me I'd probably overlook that... wink.gif

(Or rather, if all of the above happened before I met my wife...)

--DD
7TPorsh
well, by casual observation, and extreme hands on research, i have concluded that the valve nipple always seems to be a few degrees higher on the fakes...

Click to view attachment
green ernie
QUOTE(gaocs @ May 11 2017, 03:49 PM) *

Hi

You can get the replica four spokes form "Machine 7" in Nuneaton in the midlands, UK. I have one brand new one in a box I bought from them which I will sell if you are interested smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.