Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTT Painted Smooth Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
wqqdys
Anyone interested in trading tops. Mine is from a '74, looking for an original grain late top. My top is in good overall condition, no cracks or gouges. My headliner is not original, thickish vinyl not perlon carpet, has some scratches. Can trade up or like condition, we can also trade latches for an easy swap or keep ours, mine is in good condition. I am located in Las Vegas, NV.
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
FYI - you can also reshoot your top to redo the texture & black.

Also FYI not all tops are the same when it comes to the seals, cuz the early 70-72 had a different seals at the side windows, vs. late 73-76. So you'll need to match same-same for the swap.

The texture can be recreated with Wurth Schutz spray (underbody coating), then Satin Black paint. Look for the topics in the Originality & History Forum for redoing the tops, or doing the F & R Valances & L & R Rockers or the 73-74 black textured bumpers for the how-to of it, since the texture was all done the same way, as on the roof panel (google search works better than the site's searrch BTW).

IMHO - stick with the top that came with the car - assuming it's correct early/late or is the known original top, now almost half a century later.

PS - That looks like it may be a nice small-block V8 Tempest with the "Noodle-driveshaft" in the background ... maybe or the slant 4?
PSS - Never mind! ... Dang these old eyes! blink.gif
I just enlarged the pic & read it's a Chev BelAir! biggrin.gif

Good Luck Either Way! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
wqqdys
Thanks Tom! Great advice, I'll look in to restoring the texture.
Here's a pic of the car in the background...
Click to view attachment
euro911
I would just try to source a late 'original' late top and keep your red smoothie for those special occasions.

I have a spare 'late' top here that I could let go for cheeeep, but shipping would probably be somewhat prohibitive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.