Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Washer Nozzles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
Seems like there is some wild pricing from cheap to expensive on replacement washer nozzles for the 914. Anybody have a recommended replacement?
Mikey914
There is a difference.
the chrome ones have a cap that hold the nozzles that can be directed. Kind of cool, but the all plastic are non adjustable. More a matter of choice and budget.
914Sixer
Autohausaz.com
Chrome with check valve $19.55 70-73
Black plastic $5.27 74-76

Both have adjustable sprayer.
kgruen2
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 11 2017, 08:49 PM) *

Autohausaz.com

What do the check valves under the nozzles check? Are they necessary? There appears to have been a change in the nozzles in mid '74. What is the difference in the earlier ones and the new and improved later ones? Are they interchangeable?
I switched my pneumatic system to an electric pump system. Would that make a difference? Any thoughts?
Olympic 914
one of the original washers on my car broke when installing it, and I bought a replacement pair from Pelican. they were the type with the chrome covers. and came with the check valves.

When installing one I used liquid hand soap to lube it up and one of the little adjusting balls popped out and rolled to somewhere in the garage. inspection revealed that the adjusting balls were metal and about the size of a BB, I though, no problem I'll just pop one out of the broken unit to replace it. NO good the original adjusting balls were about twice the size, made of plastic and much more secure in the housing. so they would not fit.

I would have paid more for ones like the originals, rather than what I have.

Pelican did send a replacement nozzle when informed about the issue.

I don't know what the check valves do, but they were on the originals also. but because of the design you would not be able to connect the hoses to the nozzles with out them since the check valve has barbs on both ends and plug into the nozzle, and you plug the hose onto the check valve.

jkb944t
[/quote]

What do the check valves under the nozzles check? Are they necessary? There appears to have been a change in the nozzles in mid '74. What is the difference in the earlier ones and the new and improved later ones? Are they interchangeable?
I switched my pneumatic system to an electric pump system. Would that make a difference? Any thoughts?
[/quote]

I believe that the check valve is to prevent the low pressure area created by the windshield from siphoning out all of the windshield fluid especially at high speeds.

Jeff B
jkb944t
QUOTE(kgruen2 @ May 25 2017, 12:03 AM) *

Autohausaz.com

I believe that the check valve is to prevent the low pressure area created by the windshield from siphoning out all of the windshield fluid especially at high speeds.

Jeff B
BillC
QUOTE(jkb944t @ May 25 2017, 02:00 PM) *

Autohausaz.com

Jeff B

Actually, the base of the windshield is a high pressure area. That's why the fresh air intake is there (and why cowl-induction hoods were invented).

The check valves are to keep the washer fluid from draining back into the reservoir, which would cause a delay in squirting when the washers are activated.
kgruen2
QUOTE(BillC @ May 25 2017, 11:35 AM) *

Autohausaz.com

Jeff B

Actually, the base of the windshield is a high pressure area. That's why the fresh air intake is there (and why cowl-induction hoods were invented).

The check valves are to keep the washer fluid from draining back into the reservoir, which would cause a delay in squirting when the washers are activated.

Thx guys for the responses. What I learned is that I should use them, regardless of the difference of opinion on aerodynamics.
jkb944t
QUOTE(BillC @ May 25 2017, 10:35 AM) *

Autohausaz.com

Jeff B

I stand corrected as that makes sense to me that it is a high pressure zone but I still think it can pull the fluid out due to the venturi effect as the air passes over the nozzle.

Jeff B
BillC
QUOTE(jkb944t @ May 26 2017, 07:49 AM) *

I stand corrected as that makes sense to me that it is a high pressure zone but I still think it can pull the fluid out due to the venturi effect as the air passes over the nozzle.

Jeff B

Because that is a high-pressure area, it also means it's a low-flow area. The pressure is higher than any suction from any venturi effect. In fact, the pressure is higher than the pressure inside the trunk, so this would have the effect of pushing the fluid out of the nozzle and back into the reservoir, hence the need for the check valve.

Plus, if the check valve were oriented so that it would keep fluid from being sucked out of the nozzle, it would also prevent the fluid from being sprayed out.
kgruen2
QUOTE(BillC @ May 26 2017, 05:39 AM) *

Jeff B

Because that is a high-pressure area, it also means it's a low-flow area. The pressure is higher than any suction from any venturi effect. In fact, the pressure is higher than the pressure inside the trunk, so this would have the effect of pushing the fluid out of the nozzle and back into the reservoir, hence the need for the check valve.

Plus, if the check valve were oriented so that it would keep fluid from being sucked out of the nozzle, it would also prevent the fluid from being sprayed out.

I was a Service Advisor at Merlin Olsen Porsche/Audi in the mid '70's. We tried to balance the spare tire from a 914 and found it to have a lot of water inside. Think that might be connected to this post somehow?
Also, I hooked up the nozzles without the check valves and found that the left one bleeds confused24.gif fluid when I'm driving and does not spray well. The right one does not leak fluid while driving and sprays good. confused24.gif
BillC
QUOTE(kgruen2 @ May 26 2017, 01:09 PM) *

Jeff B

I was a Service Advisor at Merlin Olsen Porsche/Audi in the mid '70's. We tried to balance the spare tire from a 914 and found it to have a lot of water inside. Think that might be connected to this post somehow?

How much water are you talking about? A couple of teaspoons worth, or more like cups or even quarts? A few teaspoons worth could be caused by using soggy air, like from a compressor run hard on a humid day.

If it was more than that, I don't know what to tell you. Normally, the air pressure in the spare tire is far, far higher than the dynamic pressure at the base of the windshield, unless maybe they went supersonic. Was the water blue, like "standard" fluid, or was it clear or some other color?

Also, I hooked up the nozzles without the check valves and found that the left one bleeds confused24.gif fluid when I'm driving and does not spray well. The right one does not leak fluid while driving and sprays good. confused24.gif

Sounds like you may have a defective nozzle.
kgruen2
QUOTE(BillC @ May 26 2017, 11:55 AM) *

Jeff B

How much water are you talking about? A couple of teaspoons worth, or more like cups or even quarts? A few teaspoons worth could be caused by using soggy air, like from a compressor run hard on a humid day.

If it was more than that, I don't know what to tell you. Normally, the air pressure in the spare tire is far, far higher than the dynamic pressure at the base of the windshield, unless maybe they went supersonic. Was the water blue, like "standard" fluid, or was it clear or some other color?

Sounds like you may have a defective nozzle.

A couple of cups worth. Drove the mechanic crazy trying to balance it. Then i tried it (I considered myself an expert at balancing tires and tried to keep the needle within one needle width of the 0 mark (before digital balancers). Couldn't keep it on balance until we realized there was water inside. Don't remember if it was straight water or windshield washer fluid. Would have to have been a lot of dynamic pressure to reverse the flow from the reservoir to the tire.

I am still working on proper installation of nozzles and the sprayers haven't been aimed yet. Will update with reults.
Larmo63
Click to view attachment

For no other reason, but that it is Friday night.
kgruen2
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 26 2017, 08:58 PM) *

Click to view attachment

For no other reason, but that it is Friday night.

I wished my nozzles sprayed that well.
23e Heure
I'm finding different parts for different years: specifically washer nozzles up to 74, and different ones post 74.

Is there actually any difference in design said from chrome (early) and black (later)?

And are they all interchangeable between 911/912/914?

(I'm in UK) This is chrome and has the check valve, but doesn't mention 914 compatibility.
washer jets for sale in UK

Just want to be sure they will fit my 74 car before I press the Buy button!
Chris914n6
Most of the newer cars have a check value not far from the bottle. Keeps the lines full so it sprays almost immediately.
Jonathan Livesay

Autohausaz.com

Jeff B

agree.gif
kgruen2
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ May 28 2017, 12:18 PM) *

Autohausaz.com

Jeff B

agree.gif

Alright. This is what I've found out. Old style versus new style:
Old ones are chrome and better looking (small details count). Much more difficult to install. Have a female end for the check valve male end. Are much more expensive.
Newer style: Much easier to install (they snap right in). Aren't as good looking. Have a male end to attach the hose to with a check valve installed somewhere between the reservoir and nozzle. Are slightly smaller in circumference so if your car has been painted with older style installed, a small ring of old paint will show. Are less expensive.
I have a '73 2.0. I could not get the old style to seat properly no matter how hard I tried (including lubing with soap). I installed the later style with no problem. They were easier to hook up and snap into place. System works great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.