Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steel bumper conversion questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crsedge
Hi All,

I am about to embark on the bumper backdate process and have read some of the threads but have a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to purchase the dog bones as part of the required hardware or are they already on the late model '75 bumpers? I see 914 Rubber sell a set of 4 of these so wanted to know if I need them?

2. I have noted that some threads have said that some brackets are required to secure the middle of the rubber bumper tops that are not present on the body of the later model 914s. Is there a reproduction part available or if not what have people used instead?

Cheers

Craig
Porschef
You'll need the bones.

You can make a bracket. Or leave it out, like I've done. No saggage. smile.gif
Harpo
Yes you need dog bones to properly space the bumper

David
crsedge
Thanks guys, thought as much re dog bones but wanted to confirm.
Cheers
Craig
rhodyguy
The bracket you're referring to is on the rear of the car. None for the bumper top on the front. What will need adaptation on the front are the fasteners for the early version driving/fog lights. 'Captive' nuts work for the f.l. mounts.
mepstein
Here's a pic of the bracket.
rhodyguy
a 74' is being cut for body parts in the classifieds. Ask if the rear bracket is still on the car.
colingreene
you need the bracket or the center will sag.
crsedge
Tried the guy wrecking the '74, alas the part has rusted away on the wreck!
Cheers
Craig
mepstein
I would make the bracket from a piece of scrap or go to Home Depot. Buy a bracket in the hardware section and modify as needed. If you're not going to weld it on, a small "L" bracket might attach with small bolts or rivets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.