Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glass shop and "It's the law sir" ???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I just call a local glass shop Binswager here in Richmond and got this crock of a story.....

Butyl tape is against the law to install. ohmy.gif He has to used epoxy to install the windshield. If buytl tape is used the windshield could fly out on impact and eject someone from the car.

He also said butyl tape is an old 70's method, no one uses that stuff anyomore gunner.gif

What the ????? headbang.gif

To top it off he will not sell me the ruber seal that goes around the windsheild?? pissoff.gif

I guess I can go down to a FLAPS and buy some butyl tape and get the trim from another store and install it myself.

Has anyone installed the windshield their self?

Cheers it's almost beer3.gif o'clock
Kerry
GWN7
On newer cars it is the law to epoxy them in. The glass is a part of the crash zone and adds to the body strength.

Find someonewho knows a bit more about older cars to do the work or you could put it in yourself, but then you will have no one to bitch at, if it leaks. smile.gif
Lawrence
Screw him. Call around.

Worst case... take a spin down to North Carolina or up to Maryland.
jfort
I just had my windshield taken out last Saturday to reinstall the metal trim. They used butyl, just the same as always.
TheCabinetmaker
I've replaced three windshields in 914's. Not that hard. I use black Urethane that comes in a standard size caulking container. It's the same stuff they use for the windows in high rise buildings. I've never had one leak and you can drive off in thirty minutes. It stays soft like butyl and won't break the winshield on hard bumps like some other methods. It should be available at any glass shop. Depending on your state law, don't mention its for your car. If its not available in your area , it certainly is here for under 20 bucks ( 3 cars minimum per tube). Glad to give tips on procedure if your interested. driving.gif
brant
vsg914,

I'd love to hear any tips off hand.
Hey is there a tech article out there on the install?

brant
TheCabinetmaker
No tech article that I know of. I learned it from business partner I had about 20 years ago. He was a glass man by profession who loved old cars. The first ones I helped him with involved the old "H" rubber. Later he taught me about the glue ins. First the old one must be removed(duh). They make a special tool to do this that should available at specialty tool shops, or glass wholesalers.
Gloves are good idea too! Or, you can do it the old fashioned ways. First choice is to cover the interior and grab a hammer. This would be my "last" choice. Second one involves the removal of visors, and inside pillar trim. Call one of your musician friends, and get a guitar string or piano string. Must be a wound one. Guitar 1st string(low E) is about the right size. Insert it thru the old adhesive from the ouside to the inside. Cut the string square and it should act as a needle. wrap each end of the string around a short peice of wood or dowel, and use the string as a two man saw. With the top off, you don't even need the extra man, but he will come in handy for installing the new one. Tape off the area around the window to prevent damage to the finish. Carefully use a putty knife to remove the old adhesive. They make a special cleaner for the urethane, but lacquer thinner or MEK works just as well. Once again be careful of the paint. "Lightly dampen" the end af a rag with cleaning solution and use some elbow grease. When clean, carefully set the new windshield in place too check the amount of overlap on the body receptacle. Cut a couple of plastic, wood, cardboard, etc. shims to set under the bottom of the glass that will keep it centered up and down in the opening.This will also act as a dry run to get the feel of it. Four hands is a must here. Lay the new glass down on a pair of saw horses inside up. Clean with the solution and run a bead of urethane around the outside edge. The tip of the tube has a square shape rather than round like a tube of latex painters caulk or silicone. This helps get a good straight even bead. Lay the glass in place and move in a "small" circle to seat the urethane. You will be able to see any air bubbles, and little gentle pressure should work them out. Use the shims to hold the glass in place till the adhesive dries. After it dries, you can use a box knife, exacto or other sharp knife to trim the excess from the inside. This is also a good time to replace any broken trim clips. Have patience and remember, Clean is the key.

Good luck, Curt

beerchug.gif
Kerrys914
Thanks..I'll call another shop on Wed.

I'll ask the next shop for the special glass paint and the sealant tubs.

Cheers
Kerry
TheCabinetmaker
Just ask for a tube of black Urethane. The label will tell you what prep cleaner to use
Aaron Cox
glass paint? what are you painting on your window?
Kerrys914
I am using the black glas paint to put a 1-1.5" border around the windshield. Brad has some photo's of his car with this done and it looks good..

Tha main reason is when you use the rubber window trim it doesn't cover up the window pillar pinch welds. You can see through the glass see the pinch welds looking all nasty smile.gif

Since the glass is out of my car I figured it would be a good time to tape off the border and paint.

Cheers
Kerry
TheCabinetmaker
Don't know if the urethane will adhere properly to the paint, besides the urethane will spread out enough to completely cover the metal.
jfort
check with "philinjax" re painting the glass: philandliz@msn.com
Kerrys914
Thanks..

Mail sent smile.gif
Joe Bob
Taking a window OUT is harder than an install unless you don't care if you crack it.

The hobby shops make a spray tint that give a stained glass look. I just used it on my foglights on the 356....
Kerrys914
Okay guys I bought two tubes of sealant and some black rubber window trim.

I'll try to take some phot's and do a little "how too" as I am doing the install.

I am installing my rear window and front windshield.

If anyone has any tips please send them to me. Maybe I'll get everything written up by Monday.

I'll keep you guys posted smile.gif

Cheers
Kerry beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Kerry, I will be available this weekend.(except friday I plan to drink lots of beer and eat a lot of hot dogs). Feel free to email or call if I can assist in any way.

Curt
918-645-1956
Kerrys914
Thanks...

Have a great 4th flag.gif

I think i'll start the install on Sat. I figure I'll prep the glass on friday and maybe have a few myself... beerchug.gif Nothing like a Sam Adams, burgers, and 914's on the 4th of July

Cheers
Kerry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.