Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need opinions...BOV or Bypass valve??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
blow off valve venting to atmosphere or a bypass valve???

with my car being as "rice" as it is, a loud BOV almost seems like a natural screwy.gif biggrin.gif
bd1308
BOV.......Gotta have it....the bypass just doesn't do the turbo justice.
Aaron Cox
get the chirping kind so you fit in with the ricers smile.gif
Andyrew
Explain to me a bypass valve...

You dont have to get one of the ricey superloud bov's...

Fine one that flutters... Bwbbwbwbwbbwbww... I like ours... Not a PPPPSSssshh

lol
Mueller
QUOTE (Andyrew @ May 10 2005, 03:29 PM)
Explain to me a bypass valve...

You dont have to get one of the ricey superloud bov's...

Fine one that flutters... Bwbbwbwbwbbwbww... I like ours... Not a PPPPSSssshh

lol

from what I've read, the bypass dumps the air right back into the intake....how, I have no idea, seem strange, but that is what is installed on the factory Audi/VW's 1.8T and such.....guess it is quieter........
Aaron Cox
just run a noisy one....

like you canhear it anyway biggrin.gif
bd1308
bypass quieter much
lapuwali
Blow off valve just vents the excess air between the turbo and the throttle plate out to the atmosphere. Less plumbing, more noise. A bypass valve is basically the same thing, but it directs the atmospheric vent back into the plumbing before the turbo. This is not only less noisy, but it can theoretically help keep the turbo spinning with the throttle closed.

If I were designing my own turbo plumbing, I'd study every photo and diagram of recent WRC turbo systems I could lay my hands on. The data is scarce, but it's clear they have excellent turbo setups, and they seem to all do something with the bypass system to reduce lag to an absolute minimum.
bondo
If you're using any kind of airflow measuring device with your FI, you have to use a bypass valve. Otherwise you're losing metered air and you'll run rich every time it activates. If you aren't measuring intake air it's just a matter of preference. More plumbing vs. more noise. Our WRX had a blowoff valve on it when we got it (and it has a mass air flow sensor.. so it would run funny after it vented) It was kinda cute at first to be going around making PFFFT-SHWEEEE! sounds all the time, but it got old real quick. Fortunatley it came with the stock bypass valve too. I put the BOV on ebay and got $200. smile.gif
Mueller
well it looks like the bypass is the way to go with the FI so it does not get too disturbed....thanks...
bondo
If you really want the sound you can get one of these.

lol2.gif
TimT
BOV at LRP

Get a BOV... we use them on all our turbos. and have no issues with mixture going off when it opens, then again we dont mass meter the air, we set up the EFI using manifold pressure and throttle position..

Alot of aftermarket BOVs also allow you to plumb them as as bypass valves so you can go either way with the installation.. simpler (ie KISS theorum) is usually the best route..

I guess it all depends on your priorities, all a bypass valve is, is a quiet blow off valve..

six of one half dozen.... etc.
lapuwali
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 10 2005, 04:08 PM)
well it looks like the bypass is the way to go with the FI so it does not get too disturbed....thanks...

I'd agree that the bypass is the way to go, but keeping a speed-density ECU (like your Link) happy isn't the reason. With the MAP sensor on the far side of the throttle plate, whether the valve vents to the air or the intake is irrelevant. With a MAF system (think L-Jet, or most current OEM setups), it's an issue. I'd stay with the bypass because I think the blow-off valves sound dorky.
Maltese Falcon
Mike, use a Bosch bypass valve (late 930 style) - cheap and will handle the air folw on your T-IV just fine. If you want better go Tial...uses the Bosch principal but made from billet. The "Free-spool up" is what you get with this...and you'll still get some good blow off noise. If your using CIS on your design, stay away from a BOV--it basically gives you a big vacuum leak on decel, and a bigger problem to drive around screwy.gif
Good to meet you at the Classic !
Mueller
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ May 10 2005, 07:39 PM)
Mike, use a Bosch bypass valve (late 930 style) - cheap and will handle the air folw on your T-IV just fine. If you want better go Tial...uses the Bosch principal but made from billet. The "Free-spool up" is what you get with this...and you'll still get some good blow off noise. If your using CIS on your design, stay away from a BOV--it basically gives you a big vacuum leak on decel, and a bigger problem to drive around screwy.gif
Good to meet you at the Classic !

likewise meeting you....too bad you didn't toss me the keys to your car, but I forgive you for that, laugh.gif

I have an aftermarket programmable fuel injection, so no worries there about the CIS issues....
MattR
Some guy on a ricer forum (wrx forum iirc) put a turkey caller in his BOV, so when he shifted his car sounded like a turkey. now THATS an idea biggrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
Turkey whistle ? LOL -- prolly a good sequel of Fast/ Furious ...maybe Fast & Featherless lol2.gif
Joe Bob
Vroooom, chuf, chuf, chuf...... cool_shades.gif
iamchappy
I have never noticed any problems with a Tial BOV and my CIS setup. confused24.gif
phantom914
QUOTE (MattR @ May 10 2005, 06:46 PM)
Some guy on a ricer forum (wrx forum iirc) put a turkey caller in his BOV, so when he shifted his car sounded like a turkey. now THATS an idea biggrin.gif

lol2.gif

I think I want to turbo my car just so I can do that.

Andrew
Brett W
The Bosch unit is junk. Pick up a DSM unit on Ebay. They are much better. Not cheap plastic and it will hold 15-20 PSI if you crush it. It also has a hose nipple to run it as a bypass unit or leave the hose off and just let it vent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.