Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbs rebuilt and cleaned
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
Looking to have my carbs on my 6 engine rebuilt and cleaned up like new , how much I'm I looking at and where's the best place to have these done
Thanks Brian
porschetub
QUOTE(cal914 @ May 17 2017, 09:22 AM) *

Looking to have my carbs on my 6 engine rebuilt and cleaned up like new , how much I'm I looking at and where's the best place to have these done
Thanks Brian

You are a very long way away from the experts in the USA,have you thought about doing it yourself ? you could outsource the cleaning ,cad plating and throttle shaft rebushing (if required) and do the rest yourself.
Besides saving many $$$ it's very enjoyable to DIY,however that depends on your skills......I have found 914 owners seem to be very handy types biggrin.gif .
Paul Abbot @ Performance Oriented is very good and Henry @ Supertech is doing them now,don't expect a fast turnaround as these guys are always busy,of course there are others but I don't know of there reputation.
I did my Zeniths DIY with parts sourced from alpha1750 on ebay,there isn't anyone with more parts than them that I have found,great service,shipping and price,besides if you have Webers you buy from Italy right biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .

db9146
When I checked about having the Webers on my -6 rebuilt last year, there were several levels offered, IIRC. There was the basic rebush, repair, and rebuild with no additional effort towards the appearance all the way up to look like new. I believe the price quoted ranged from about $3000-$3800, roughly, from the one well-known expert I talked with.
porschetub
Oh dear that's why I suggested DIY,used carbs are getting closer to that price and then rebuild cost,no wonder folks on Pelican are going to PMO's after changing from FI sad.gif .
The rebuild cost really is up there for rebushing because of the tooling and labour content,not all need doing but its an age thing,my Zeniths were fine due to low mileage on my engine.
john77
I did this myself recently with absolutely no experience and it really isn't that hard. The only thing you can't do yourself is remove the butterflies or the shaft. If there's slop in the shaft, or all the butterflies aren't simultaneously shutting completely, you'll need to send them out.

If you decide to go the diy route, I'm more than happy to talk you through how I did it. I'm no expert, and I'm sure others will have their own ways, but I've rebuilt 3 sets of carbs now, and all of them are working great, and I'm an idiot, so...
914itis
Just did this two weeks ago , not too bad ,you will need compressed air carb cleaner, float adjustment tool.

The hardest part is to adjust them once you put them back in the car.

My car is running great now , there are few videos on YouTube ,look up under early 911 weber as they are not listed under 914,
McMark
Second Paul Abbot @ Performance Oriented. I've been to his shop and checked out his setup. Very detail oriented and was very impressed with his setup and approach to making old carbs work like new.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.