Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Body panels curveture or not
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nacho
Hello everyone

Trying to learn if the body panels at the quarters and front fenders are supposed to curve in a little or need to be straight? Below is a picture with a welding rod showing the gap. The gap is pretty consistent from top to bottom.

Thanks

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
defianty
I can't help with a reply but it's question I've been wanting an answer to for some time. You see come cars with no curvature and other with. A definitive answer would be great.
McMark
Factory original would have curves.

The classic definition of a good quality paint job would entail getting those panels to be flat across the gap. I've even heard of people who know what they are doing welding the doors in a couple places so they don't move, then bodyworking OVER the gap so both panels are worked as one piece, then once they're flat they carefully reveal and work the gap.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ May 17 2017, 09:28 AM) *

The classic definition of a good quality paint job would entail getting those panels to be flat across the gap. I've even heard of people who know what they are doing welding the doors in a couple places so they don't move, then bodyworking OVER the gap so both panels are worked as one piece, then once they're flat they carefully reveal and work the gap.

Wouldn't that be wouldn't instead of would?
idea.gif
McMark
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 17 2017, 12:38 PM) *
QUOTE(McMark @ May 17 2017, 09:28 AM) *
Wouldn't that be wouldn't instead of would?
idea.gif

If the 914 was on par with something like a Konigsegg where each car is hand built and bodyworked, sure.

But the 914 was an economy car. They were painted as they came off the assembly line, without bodywork.

Once you learn how to look at, and evaluate paint, it's amazing how BAD new car paint is. The 914 was no different.
Nacho
So it was factory that way? 212.gif So let's vote on this "Leave it factory" or Blend all panels straight"?
Rand
Enjoy it the way it is, don't futs with suddenly deciding to "blend it straight" if you didn't know you wanted to before this thread.
brubou
These cars need all the curves they can get! laugh.gif
Nacho
QUOTE(brubou @ May 19 2017, 09:39 AM) *

These cars need all the curves they can get! laugh.gif

I love curves on women and cars! biggrin.gif
mbseto
QUOTE(Nacho @ May 17 2017, 11:04 AM) *

supposed to curve in a little or need to be straight

The engineers that designed it would probably tell you it is "within tolerance". You can make it perfect, but is the end goal a static museum piece, or a driver?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.