Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Me Vent
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ljubodraz
I rebuilt my rear calipers and am now bleeding and adjusting vent clearance for first time. When I set clearance at high point of rotor to .004" is it OK that I can still hear friction at the high spot when I spin rotor? Should I just back the pads off until I no longer hear friction? Yes, I am mindful of whether inner or outer pad is dragging and no drag when both pads are pulled back.

Clearance seams to change every time I recheck after a bleed. headbang.gif I tried adjustment with and without the spreader installed. I checked the front calipers and they both have drag present.

Oh, and I will never bother painting my calipers again; zinc plate only. Did all the prep and oven curing for VHT paint. Fluid leaks from threads of bleeders when bleeding and paint gone. chair.gif

Thanks in advance!
Elliot Cannon
Here. http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog.html
ljubodraz
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 18 2017, 01:45 PM) *

Thanks Elliot. dry.gif I've been on Eric's site and read most every post he's made. You're not answering my question though. It is about how to properly set the venting clearance, with or without pads making scrubbing sound on high part of rotor even when clearance is set to .004".

To avoid further hate, I'm currently unemployed and couldn't justify buying rebuilt calipers from PMB with all the spare time I have. Even then, I'd have to adjust them myself.

Anyone?
Shadowfax
Check that the rotor isn't warped. Then try to set the clearance to 0.008 and see if it is still dragging.
ljubodraz
Thanks Shadowfax. I'll give that a try.

According to Eric Shea's posts, every rotor will have a bit of a high spot. Is it bad to have a little drag or is my goal no drag period? I understand drag can cause heat, expansion and seizure if bad enough. I believe Eric stated once that he doesn't even bother using a feeler gauge anymore. I think he said he simply barely backs the pad off from contact at high point of rotor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.