Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 25Amp Battery Fuse Melted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
About a year ago a member here sold a battery fuse kit (Spoke?) Never thought I'd use it but it looked cool.

Started the teener tonight and after a minuted it went Dead Instantly! Knew it was electrical and since I'd recently installed a tach, decided to check the wires. Looked OK. and the dash fused were ok too.

Checked the battery fused and found a blown 25 amp fuse. When I think of what might have melted without that fuse................... headbang.gif

As soon as the butterfly horn was off, I see a cut horn wire. The DAPO installed this and I have been to lazy to wire it right.

Pulled off the horn wire, installed a new fuse, and took her for a spin! With Tim's new LED dash lights, I love driving after dark.

So,,,fuse the battery and let Tim do your dash.
Spoke
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 19 2017, 10:06 PM) *

(Spoke?)

Not me although the fuse is a good idea. There are several non-fused electrical items on the car and like you said, if your fuse wasn't there you'd be looking at smoked wires.
GeorgeRud
Porsche seems to have a long history of questionable electrical items. My '84 Carrera Targa needed to have 5 additional wires fused as the factory didn't have any (though they did eventually add some to later models).

A fuse or circuit breaker in the circuits fed off the battery would be a nice added level of protection for the wiring.
76-914
Tom made those. I've got one on my '76. Damned good idea to have one. Many folks don't know that they have unfused HOT wires running up the tunnel. Glad yours saved your butt. I haven't needed mine yet but it is cheap insurance. beerchug.gif
michael7810
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 20 2017, 07:02 AM) *

Tom made those. I've got one on my '76. Damned good idea to have one. Many folks don't know that they have unfused HOT wires running up the tunnel. Glad yours saved your butt. I haven't needed mine yet but it is cheap insurance. beerchug.gif

agree.gif I have one on my car and once fried one of the fuses when I hooked the yellow starter wire to the wrong connector. Very happy I didn't have a melted wire and ignition switch. Everyone should fuse all the wires on the battery except the large cable that runs to the starter.
AZBanks
Does Tom have a thread in the member-vendor section for this?
aharder
I put this in a few years back from a post someone put out there.
I bought all of the components from Dell City

Click to view attachment
cary
We'll be doing an engine panel on Doug's 6 conversion. I'm thinking circuit breakers that you need to reset. So you know you have an issue.
Might get a head start on the design when Matt and I do the new snorkel in his car. I think every car should have one.
barefoot
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 19 2017, 10:06 PM) *

About a year ago a member here sold a battery fuse kit (Spoke?) Never thought I'd use it but it looked cool.

Started the teener tonight and after a minuted it went Dead Instantly! Knew it was electrical and since I'd recently installed a tach, decided to check the wires. Looked OK. and the dash fused were ok too.

Checked the battery fused and found a blown 25 amp fuse. When I think of what might have melted without that fuse................... headbang.gif

Here's my 1 in 4 out fuse block, think I got it off E-bay or Amazon can't remember now.
Will mount where out of direct rain exposure but easy to see fuses.
Click to view attachment

76-914
QUOTE(AZBanks @ May 20 2017, 12:05 PM) *

Does Tom have a thread in the member-vendor section for this?

No. He only offered the kits once. IIRC, the response was small but he might make more if the interest is there. beerchug.gif
Kansas 914
Always keep in mind there are a few unfused circuits on a 914. I too have added a fuse to the battery for unexpected shorts.

Click to view attachment
Dion
QUOTE(aharder @ May 20 2017, 12:20 PM) *

I put this in a few years back from a post someone put out there.
I bought all of the components from Dell City

Click to view attachment

Sorry to hi-jack, I like this. Any further details of what is running from where and to.
Thanks.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(barefoot @ May 22 2017, 04:07 AM) *

Here's my 1 in 4 out fuse block, think I got it off E-bay or Amazon can't remember now.
Will mount where out of direct rain exposure but easy to see fuses.

https://www.amazon.com/BQLZR-Illuminated-Tr...r/dp/B01M0KZ8JX
stinkindiesel
I learned this lesson on a very early build 944. Turned the headlights on one night. One popped up, the other didn't. Smoke poured out from under the dash. Entire wiring harness going through the firewall was one big lump of goo. Found out later the headlight motors were unfused. All it took was a stalled motor to lead to a short to lead to China Syndrome.

Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.