Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Main Targa Seal install - help ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dgraves
I'm installing a new main Targa roof seal. The one that goes around the windshield frame. The side post section fit like a glove. The section along the top where the roof fits to the windshield frame has got me stumped. Is this glued? There seems to be some metal inside the rubber seal itself that I thought just squeezed tight to the metal frame, but I can't get it to work.

Advice would be great. Love this forum. So, far I've gotten advice on all topics that has allowed me to get this rebuild so near completion.

Thanks,
Dan
ConeDodger
I glued mine. Not heavily, just a dab of weatherstrip adhesive. I'm having lunch with Mark Whitesell in a couple hours. I can ask what you're "supposed" to do if you want...
poorsche914
That top section can be a pain to install. dry.gif

I had to take a flat blade screwdriver and, in a few areas, carefully widen the gap of the metal in the seal to get it to attach to the frame. Took a bit of trial and error but eventually got it to where the top mounts correctly and latches down.

driving.gif
dgraves
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 20 2017, 09:59 AM) *

I glued mine. Not heavily, just a dab of weatherstrip adhesive. I'm having lunch with Mark Whitesell in a couple hours. I can ask what you're "supposed" to do if you want...

That would be great. I've had good luck with all of 914 rubber products. This one baffles me. Currently, I'm struggling to slide the back door window/targa seal down the post. UGGH
ConeDodger
QUOTE(dgraves @ May 20 2017, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 20 2017, 09:59 AM) *

That would be great. I've had good luck with all of 914 rubber products. This one baffles me. Currently, I'm struggling to slide the back door window/targa seal down the post. UGGH

Just dropped him back at his hotel. Black 3M weatherstrip adhesive. But you probably know that as he said he answered a PM about that...
Dave_Darling
I just pushed the center section on most of the way. Then I installed the roof panel and used the latches to push the seal the rest of the way on.

--DD
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 20 2017, 09:06 PM) *

I just pushed the center section on most of the way. Then I installed the roof panel and used the latches to push the seal the rest of the way on.

--DD

Dave brings up a good point. After I used the weatherstrip adhesive, I put the top on and left it on for a couple weeks. Believe me, it's not coming off.
dgraves
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 20 2017, 06:06 PM) *

--DD

Thanks, Dave. I'll give that a try.
EdwardBlume
I used the 3M adhesive and a tightly latched roof to keep it on. Careful taking it off for a little bit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.