Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The new engine comes alive....But
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pugbug
The 1911 I rebuilt fired up as though it had been running yesterday. Like a dummy blink.gif I sat in the car and ran it for 10 minutes at 3000 rpm to break in the cam, before I remembered the check for leaks.... Panic stations because there was a one foot diameter pool of oil under it!
It turned out that one of the valve covers was only sealing the gasket on one end. Warped or out of shape somehow. That seems to be the only leak thank god. pray.gif
I should have been working the throttle from the back.

I have spare valve covers, but they need to be cleaned up a bit.

Got it insured and the plates on today, so a bit of tuning and I'll finally be able to drive a 914!
skline
Congrats!! I think we have all done that before. Fire it up and forget to look underneath. It happened on my V8 car actually. The filter base wasnt tight and it was pouring out like a faucet.
Hydra
914 don't leak, they mark their spot... wink.gif
Tom Perso
When I first primed my 2270 (when it was in the Bug) I had all sorts of oil lines and whatnot. I pulled everything apart and tried to pour oil into it just to prime that much faster. I thought I was all done, hopped in the car and started cranking. Couldn't get oil pressure. WTF?

Pretty soon I look back and I dumped almost a quart of oil on the garage floor. I forgot to put the external oil filter back on. Good thing I have that Hi-Po 30mm pump so it moves that much more oil... finger.gif

I had to build a dam out of kitty litter to contain the spill. What a mess.

beer3.gif

Later,
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.