Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Insulation under carpet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brooks944
Hi, getting a new carpet kit from 914Rubber installed. My interior has been completely stripped and repainted. Is there any kind of insulation that goes underneath?

Thanks, Rick
Rand
The factory used tar. Was that stripped before repainting? If so, you can buy replacement tar kits, or go with something more modern like Dynamat. Depends on whether you care about originality, upgrade, or leave it out at the cost of some extra noise level.
brooks944
Thanks Rand. The tar wasn't stripped since the floor pans are good. So the carpet just goes over that and what about the sides and other areas that are bare metal?

Appreciate the help, my car came from your area of the country (it's from WA!).
Rick
Rand
QUOTE(brooks944 @ May 21 2017, 11:07 AM) *

Thanks Rand. The tar wasn't stripped since the floor pans are good. So the carpet just goes over that and what about the sides and other areas that are bare metal?

Appreciate the help, my car came from your area of the country (it's from WA!).
Rick

My only concern after hearing that is, you can't know the condition of the metal under the tar. Hopefully you are lucky and have a solid floor pan. If you want to investigate more, look into the rear passenger corner carefully under the tar. That area is prone to rust, but it hides under the tar. Not trying to bring a downer thought, just sharing.

Sounds like yours may be a clean exception. Congrats. Glad it found it's way to you from "the soggy side of nowhere." (An old Seattle WCR reference wink.gif )

brooks944
Thanks Rand. That whole area is good as well. Still would like to hear about insulation on the sides besides seats.
Thanks, Rick
Rand
If you mean on the longs / frame rails, as far as I know that's just glued on without any other insulation. The tar on the floorboards was the only insulation. (Firewall is another matter. Backpad on the inside and a heavy pad on the engine bay side of the firewall). But I don't want to be the only one chiming in here.
Garland
Here is how I did mine, before carpet from 914 Rubber using Fat-Mat Rattle Trap, and EZ-Cool

START of 2017 Build-Off Part Deux
brooks944
Garland what a great job!
doug_b_928
For anyone who has been in one that had the tar removed and nothing replaced it, how much additional noise is transmitted? I'm going to remove all of mine and thought I'd not replace with anything to facilitate future inspections and, if necessary, repairs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.