Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stupid question about ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
doesn't carbon buildup on top of the pistons *increase* HP due to increased compression?

what am i missing here?
unsure.gif Andy
MattR
Im not an engine master, but I would think the carbon heats up and gets the temps up, which hurts the engine performance more then the increased static compression (if any?) some carbon will add.
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 10 2005, 08:45 PM)
doesn't carbon buildup on top of the pistons *increase* HP due to increased compression?

what am i missing here?
unsure.gif   Andy

It, sure does, except when it builds up to the point the valves chip it off, then it goes back to the HP and compression you started with, untill the cabon starts building up again, it's a never ending process, HP, compression, performance increase to HP, compression, performance loss. I just don't think abouit it. lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
messix
think about hot charcoal in your bbq.

thats what carbon build up in the combustion chamber reacts like. it gets hot and stays hot. and contributes to detonation [ping].

it will also mess with the best combustion chamber flow by shrouding the valves and building up deposits on the back side of the exhust valve reducing the flow of the exhust port.

keep you engine tuned up and not running rich or burnig alot of oil. use good gas [name brands have the best detergents ] to keep the injectors and valves clean.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.