Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front wheel bearing question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
87m491
Doing my fronts this past weekend. When I got the hub off I found what I'm pretty sure was #37 (rubber ring) in the part sheet below. The ones on my car were swollen and pretty ratty. They seemed just to be floating around in the hub, so not sure of their purpose.

Can someone tell me where exactly they are supposed to sit? Can I just replace them with a similar sized O ring?
Happy to have BTDTs on how much "spare" grease to place in the hub after I repack the new bearings.

Hopefully up for this weekend as the bearing kit I just bought was apparently for a 6 even though adverted for a 4 and the seal and bearings were all wrong.

thx.

IPB Image
r_towle
I don't recall a rubber ring there, just the bearing seat, the bearing, and the rubber seal. They are installed in that order.
mepstein
Lots of people leave off the O ring but mine was on the dust cap when I pulled apart the hubs so I put it back in the same place. I dont think it has to be factory porsche, just something to make a seal against the hub.
6freak
[quote name='r_towle' date='May 23 2017, 05:55 AM' post='2488829']
I don't recall a rubber ring there,

me neither! but its been a long time since I've been in there, but there it is #37
id say yes find one that works with grease and go for it...good luck
smile.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(6freak @ May 23 2017, 07:07 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 23 2017, 05:55 AM) *

me neither! but its been a long time since I've been in there, but there it is #37
smile.gif

They are (or should I say WERE there) from the factory. I pulled apart some front end parts a few months ago that came from a early (1971 maybe) parts car - I still have it sitting on my bench. They rarely got replaced after the cap was removed the first time. I don't know anyone that is putting them back on today, probably because they are tough to find. I did some research and found a VW part number but no inventory.
87m491
Ahh, not sure why this bulb did not go off sooner. Is the O ring supposed to sit on the shoulder of the bearing cap? That make sense as the rear hub seal keeps the grease from going out the back, this keeps it from going out the front side. I thought because I found them in the hubs, they were supposed to be inside there.

If that's where it goes, I'm definitely going for a NAPA piece for 99 cents.

PN is out there #421839455 and available at dealers between $5-$7. Seems overkill as mine certainly weren't doing anything and the hubs were not leaking.

thx

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ May 23 2017, 06:17 AM) *

smile.gif

They are (or should I say WERE there) from the factory. I pulled apart some front end parts a few months ago that came from a early (1971 maybe) parts car - I still have it sitting on my bench. They rarely got replaced after the cap was removed the first time. I don't know anyone that is putting them back on today, probably because they are tough to find. I did some research and found a VW part number but no inventory.

mepstein
Yes smile.gif
QUOTE(87m491 @ May 23 2017, 10:50 AM) *

Ahh, not sure why this bulb did not go off sooner. Is the O ring supposed to sit on the shoulder of the bearing cap? That make sense as the rear hub seal keeps the grease from going out the back, this keeps it from going out the front side. I thought because I found them in the hubs, they were supposed to be inside there.

PN is out there #421839455 and available at dealers between $5-$7. Seems overkill as mine certainly weren't doing anything and the hubs were not leaking.

thx

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ May 23 2017, 06:17 AM) *

smile.gif

Kansas 914
QUOTE(87m491 @ May 23 2017, 08:50 AM) *

Let us know what part you end up sourcing at NAPA. Thanks!
87m491
Here you go. A buck or so at NAPA, though now that I see where it goes, you might try the next smaller size than 2".

Old vs New

newIPB Image

On the hub shoulder where the cap would sit against it.

IPB Image

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ May 23 2017, 07:01 AM) *

QUOTE(87m491 @ May 23 2017, 08:50 AM) *

Let us know what part you end up sourcing at NAPA. Thanks!
r_towle
I keep learning things here!
87m491
Now a better question, after fully repacking the new bearings, how much "extra" grease do folks leave in the hub? Either on the spindle or under the cap?
thx

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 23 2017, 04:45 PM) *

6freak
QUOTE(87m491 @ May 24 2017, 04:54 AM) *

Now a better question, after fully repacking the new bearings, how much "extra" grease do folks leave in the hub? Either on the spindle or under the cap?
thx

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 23 2017, 04:45 PM) *

oh the 64K dollar ? IMO not much 0 in the cap, its not a grease cup its a dust cover have fun
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.