Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yes, it's true.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
You can indeed, remove ALL the push rod tubes without dropping/lowering the engine. Did it this past weekend. The key is to remove the tubes and the rods together in any place where the rod alone would hit the console.

Yes, I did use a sealant during replacement, non hardening, as the tube's seals that I removed were pretty much done. A stiff breeze would have blown them out of their bores.

I'll check them out this weekend, as I want to change the oil. On the track to eliminate oil leaks, if that is possible... dry.gif

Thanks to injunmort for the use of the lift. Very productive weekend. biggrin.gif
injunmort
anytime, but you should also post pic of broken exhaust stud and repair. much skill and kudos. good time as well.
Hine62
Thank you! I also would like to see pics, but it sounds like you are done. My engine has a few stubborn seals leaking even after replacing the tubes and seals (yes I did pull the engine).

There has to be a better push rod tube seal out there!
arne
I've got numerous leaks in mine, so many that I'm dropping the engine on mine starting tomorrow. Push rod tube seals, oil cooler seals, valve covers, transmission output flanges seals, you name it. Hoping for a dry engine at the end, like my 911 has been.
Porschef
Well, if you insist Mort....

Yes, there was a pretty major delay of game when one of the exhaust studs broke during removal of the heat exchangers. Sucker snaapped off, and had to be drilled out. Here it is, with a couple increases in diameter to come.

Mort has an awesome set of tools...

Click to view attachment

injunmort
the hole joe drilled with engine in the car could not have been drilled more accurately had it been jigged on a drill press. then drove it home over 2hours from here.
Porschef
Arne, check your rear main seal and that your tranny's not leaking also.
Porschef
Thanks Mort. I'll be happy to drill out any of the studs on the extra heads you've got, as long as it doesn't involve being under a car... smile.gif
iankarr
Fun meeting you guys. Great hang.
Click to view attachment
Rand
That's a truly awesome rep of 914 guys. beerchug.gif
arne
QUOTE(Porschef @ May 23 2017, 06:21 PM) *

Arne, check your rear main seal and that your tranny's not leaking also.

That possibility is exactly the reason I am dropping mine, rather than doing it in place. Three of the four major seals on the transaxle are already leaking (shift selector shaft, both output flanges). I can't see any reason to assume the input shaft seal is any different.

Oil cooler seals and push rod tubes will be easier with the engine out too.
injunmort
ian, dont forget the 10th. we are doing a valve adjustment cllnic
rmital
QUOTE(injunmort @ May 24 2017, 06:34 AM) *

ian, dont forget the 10th. we are doing a valve adjustment cllnic

...looking forward to that...as long as you do it my way hissyfit.gif bs.gif flag.gif
injunmort
ray, counting on you to do wilrods car as the tutorial
Porschef
It's your way or no way... pray.gif
bretth
Where do you guys get together? I see most of you are in New York. I live a half hour south of Albany though my car is in jack stand mode.
Big Len
bretth - Chester, NY seems to be a beehive of activity lately.
11tenths
QUOTE(cuddyk @ May 23 2017, 09:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

These are the pictures you will come to treasure, more so than the car shot postcards.
drunk.gif
Cheers- Harry
injunmort
an hour south of albany exit 16 off the thruway, 8 miles west in world famous orange county.
saigon71
QUOTE(Porschef @ May 23 2017, 09:19 PM) *

Well, if you insist Mort....

Yes, there was a pretty major delay of game when one of the exhaust studs broke during removal of the heat exchangers. Sucker snaapped off, and had to be drilled out. Here it is, with a couple increases in diameter to come.

Mort has an awesome set of tools...

Click to view attachment

Drilling those exhaust studs out with a hand drill is a gut wrenching experience. You nailed it - straight and true. Nice work! beerchug.gif

stugray
QUOTE(cuddyk @ May 23 2017, 07:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

IPB Image

One comment: If you support the whole car from the rear donuts WITH THE ENGINE IN, you are about the weight of one person leaning on the trunk lid from the CAR TIPPING BACKWARDS!

I have SEEN it, and seeing you under the car with jackstands on the donuts makes me cringe.
Whenever I am under the car with the engine in I support the car from the rear trailing arm pivots.
injunmort
i am all about safety. the car is on a mid-rise bend pac. the jackstands are there because its a 914.
Porschef
Thanks for all the comments/concerns. I felt very safe under there, if not, i wasn't about to do it. It was a full 2 days under the car, some of Friday, all of Saturday, and much of Sunday, what with removing and installing the alternator (thanks Andy), changing the push rod tubes, adjusting the valves (thanks Ray), and drilling out that fuchin' stud (not in the plans).

Sometime during the course of Sunday's frolic it was suggested that I might want to use the creeper that had been standing idly by; turned out that that was a good move (thanks Mort). I might not be the sharpest hook in the tackle box sometimes, glad all were looking out for me. No wonder my back's still sore...

Was a great weekend though, we met a new guy, cuddyk , he brought coffee and donuts (thanks Ian) which forced me to take a break, Mort stuffed us with steak sammiches, steak and shrimp, steak and hash browns, steak and eggs, and there was, surprisingly, enough beer to last the whole time. Len and Linda broke up the theme with some awesome wings. On top of that, I even got to drive his famous, award winning beauty.

Unfortunately, I pretty much monopolized the lift the whole weekend, and we were unable to accomodate another vehicle (sorry Wilrod). But im hoping Mort makes this a somewhat regular event, as it truly was most enjoyable.

Thanks lto all. beerchug.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif smile.gif
sjhenry1075
Sounds like such an awesome experience. It would be great just to sit there and watch and listen!
green914
You guys are what makes this forum great beerchug.gif thanks for sharing a good time with 914s.
stugray
QUOTE(injunmort @ May 25 2017, 09:25 AM) *

i am all about safety. the car is on a mid-rise bend pac. the jackstands are there because its a 914.

Good to hear! The picture makes it look like the jackstands are supporting the weight at the donuts.
These cars happen to just about balance on the rear donuts with everything attached.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.