Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Steering rack -V- 911 steering rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
I have 911 steering rack (7820900166) and I'm thinking of replacing my stock steering rack (91434701401) with it.
What are the differences between the two and are their any advantages?
Click to view attachment
rgalla9146

I've always wondered popcorn[1].gif
HalfMoon
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 24 2017, 08:58 PM) *

I've always wondered popcorn[1].gif

I've heard very little on this subject and a google search doesn't really say all that much....
I think the ratio is supposed to be quicker lock to lock, but dunno
mepstein
Since Mark / 914rubber is rebuilding them, they might know the details. They are interchangeable.
adolimpio
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ May 24 2017, 07:20 PM) *

I have 911 steering rack (7820900166) and I'm thinking of replacing my stock steering rack (91434701401) with it.
What are the differences between the two and are their any advantages?
Click to view attachment

I installed a 911 rack in a 76 914 a few years ago with no issues. Don't recall noticing any difference in the ratio.
Krieger
Nice rack! I don't think there are any differences in the racks. The shaft that bolts to it is different. I can't remember but one is longer.
HalfMoon

I did a side by side comparison the following

914 347 01401, 1973 914 steering rack

7820 900 166, 1978 911 SC steering rack.

They both took 3 1/8 turns end to end. No difference. Further, I really couldn't discern a difference in feel, or resistance in any way.
PlaysWithCars
Its always been my understanding that they are identical. Makes sense given that the front end design is the same so all geometry and operating conditions are identical.
Brian Mifsud
Different Supplier?

mepstein
Similar but not identical. Actually are a couple different 911 versions depending g on the year.
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 25 2017, 05:01 PM) *

Similar but not identical. Actually are a couple different 911 versions depending g on the year.

Can you elaborate on what the differences in steering geometry are? Are there any series (years) that are more desirable to get the best geometry for autocrossing?
kc4ssd
I installed a complete 911 front end in my 914. Other than the shaft from the 911 being different the racks appeared to be identical. The front end I used came out of my 1980 911. The entire front end is complete bolt in. I managed to squeeze a Benz master cylinder in place too for the front 930 brakes and 928 rear brakes. Here is a pic thread of my 914-6 build. Sorry not in order but the front end pics are in there. Mine is nearing complete! A bat out of you know where. Soon to paint.

Tim

https://goo.gl/photos/9LDBUmAeFohwkycT8
mb911
QUOTE(kc4ssd @ May 26 2017, 11:52 AM) *

I installed a complete 911 front end in my 914. Other than the shaft from the 911 being different the racks appeared to be identical. The front end I used came out of my 1980 911. The entire front end is complete bolt in. I managed to squeeze a Benz master cylinder in place too for the front 930 brakes and 928 rear brakes. Here is a pic thread of my 914-6 build. Sorry not in order but the front end pics are in there. Mine is nearing complete! A bat out of you know where. Soon to paint.

Tim

What kind of muffler is that pictured?
mepstein
QUOTE(plays with cars @ May 25 2017, 10:39 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 25 2017, 05:01 PM) *

Can you elaborate on what the differences in steering geometry are? Are there any series (years) that are more desirable to get the best geometry for autocrossing?

I never said they had different geometry, just a bit different. Porsche often makes small changes on parts and assembly's from year to year.
Luke M
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 26 2017, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(kc4ssd @ May 26 2017, 11:52 AM) *

Tim

What kind of muffler is that pictured?

Looks like the CFR 6 headers and muffler to me.
Check out the Tangerine site.
HalfMoon
Well crap.
I got the new turbi tie rods in and the 911 spare rack that I had and I still have a wobble :-(
Soooo.
I've replaced the
tie rods
steering rack
ball joints

and determined
balance ok (was done not long ago)
steering coupler and universals ok (inspected them all when I replaced the rack)
Bearings ok (no noise or play upon examination/testing)
sway bar bushings all ok

I suppose the only other things left are,
the upper shock bushing
the torsion bar bushings

That said,
Replacing the wheel bearings just for shits and giggles seems an easier elimination than the aforementioned.

Anybody else got any idea's?
burton73
Not sure if the 914 steering column is the same as my 86 Carrera 911 but on it I had a lose bushing near the steering wheel. Replaced it and all was fine and tight. I also question if your tires may have a flat spot on them. You said you did a balance but would it show up there.

Bob B
amfab
I assume you scanned closely for tire bubble/bulges?
I had one on my Travelall that was on the inside and was hard to see even off the truck. I balanced the tires normally and they were ok, later I had them static balanced and the guy noticed it.
A new front tires completely fixed it.

Good luck

-Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.