Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do GT headlights function?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
csdilligaf
I have never seen them in action. Does the cable release a catch that allows them to pop open? Do they open slowly with the nitrogen piston or is it like a snap open? How do they get back down? Do you have to push them back down by hand? Or does the cable pull them back down?
tygaboy
I've not seen them in action but yes, pull cable to release the catch and the hydraulics pop them open. (not sure how fast/hard). You have to close them by hand.
Here's a great place to learn all about it:
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/gt_mechanical_headlight_raisers
ConeDodger
Properly adjusted, you pull a release handle on the dash and they pop up. Your headlight switch only turns on and off the light. There are pictures in my project thread somewhere. I'll see if I can find them...

Just Another Damned Project Thread
ConeDodger
evilgrin.gif
7TPorsh
I like this idea...here may be a way to make the lights pop open half way and put some low profile led lights.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ May 25 2017, 11:16 AM) *

I like this idea...here may be a way to make the lights pop open half way and put some low profile led lights.

Easy enough to fab up some stops that would limit how high the headlights open.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Someone also had a push/pull system in place at one point so that you did not have to get out of the car to lower the headlights.

Zach
barefoot
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 25 2017, 11:30 AM) *

Someone also had a push/pull system in place at one point so that you did not have to get out of the car to lower the headlights.

Zach

The Saab Sonnet has push-pull headlights, probably some info to be found on their sites
jmitro
how much weight is saved by doing the GT headlight conversion?
csdilligaf
Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't sure if you had to push them down by hand. The kits seem pretty nice and well done. I know it only saves a little weight but its just one less electrical thing to go wrong and it has a cool factor since I love all things mechanical.
mb911
QUOTE(jmitro @ May 25 2017, 09:51 AM) *

Same question
914dave
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 25 2017, 03:49 PM) *

QUOTE(jmitro @ May 25 2017, 09:51 AM) *

Same question

IIRC it was around 13#s.
gms
although the weight savings may seem trivial it was one of many parts that collectively reduced the weight of the race cars. The added bonus of the headlight motor delete is that they lay outside of the wheel base at the very front of the car.
ConeDodger
McMark said about #10# So 13# is in the ballpark. Especially if they pared away the unneeded wiring.
pete000
Yup, on the list to do things...
jmitro
QUOTE(gms @ May 25 2017, 03:35 PM) *

although the weight savings may seem trivial it was one of many parts that collectively reduced the weight of the race cars. The added bonus of the headlight motor delete is that they lay outside of the wheel base at the very front of the car.

definitely; couple lbs here, couple lbs there. it all adds up for a full race car.
VaccaRabite
I read somewhere that the old formula was the removing 10 pounds was like adding 1HP.

But I've also read that painting ones car yellow will make it go faster, and that stickers add 5HP.

Still, removing 10 pounds should make a difference in your Power/Weight ratio. Those motors are heavy.

Zach
mb911
Kits are kind of expensive but something I may consider when the time comes.
Marek
I Am just finishing a kit, as part of the Gt Repro parts we are working on
with all you need to do this conversion
just waiting for the wires , should be here in 2 weeks
Will post pics and a for sale add ASAP

A kit will be 500 Euro incl shipping ,
and its spot on to original that was build on Magura bike parts

Marek
mb911
Found this kit

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-GT-Headlight...-cable-assembly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.