Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru cable shift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
This company makes the parts to build a suby cable shifter. I have no affiliation and have not tried it but it does look nice. A possible alternative to the nla coldwater cable shifter.
http://zerodecibelmotorsports.com/products...mechanism-5spd/
flmont
that would be great if they made a Hydraulic kit too ..300.00 seems cheap.
mepstein
This product does not include the cables.
jd74914
By all accounts I've read, it's pretty nice and works well. The guy (whose name I'm forgetting) is an engineer from the midwest who is very active on the 818 forum and NASIOC. His 818 build is very clean with a ton of custom parts.
914forme
I like, drooley.gif any one need a Coldwater setup?
Chris H.
Dang that is VERY nice looking.
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(914forme @ May 25 2017, 07:30 AM) *

Me
Costa05
Clean setup. Its now on my list of upgrades to do.
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ May 25 2017, 11:30 AM) *

Make sure they actually have them in stock.
flmont
Now,..how much of a issue is the hydraulic system to install,..
mepstein
QUOTE(flmont @ May 25 2017, 09:09 PM) *

Now,..how much of a issue is the hydraulic system to install,..

There are a couple very good threads on what is involved.
JRust
It does look like a nice setup. I just want to hear from someone who installed it. Drove one with the cold water setup & it was much sloppier than my longer cable setup. Still a big improvement over the 901. There was a big difference in between mine & the coldwater setup though. Enough so that I wouldn't use it with my new motor. I like the cable being shorter & basically needing 2 of the same size. I'd sure consider this one if the shifting was nice, easy & tight driving.gif
turnaround89
Just emailed the gentlemen, these are available. I'm going to go ahead and order this for my subaru conversion. Just need to clarify a measurement that he needs before i place the order.
flmont
would there be a older 5 spd,trans that could be used with the 3.3 motor,.that is not hydraulic,..so,. I would only need to use the cable shift system,..???
914forme
Contacted the seller right after I posted. And yes he has them waiting on a few rod ends to show up. And Ill have a set in.

Also to answer the above question.

Cable: found in all manual transmission 93-01 Impreza 1.8 and 2.2 models, and all Legacy 2.2 models. The clutch that use cable actuation are a bit weaker, and the cables are know to be an issue on high pressure pressure plates.
jim912928
not sure why he couldn't adapt that for a 915!
flmont
914forme,...could I use a legacy trans mated to a 3.3,../ and would it be better than a 901 trans..??? Thanks
914forme
QUOTE(flmont @ May 28 2017, 11:38 AM) *

914forme,...could I use a legacy trans mated to a 3.3,../ and would it be better than a 901 trans..??? Thanks

Yes, Subaru says they ill self destruct all over the place into a million pieces. But the SVX was 3580 LBS or so with out my fat ass sitting in it. And AWD, I am thinking your be fine.

Reson I think that, AWD is like building a rolling dyne, things start to break, you fix one weak link and the next one breaks and on and on. This is not true with the RWD conversion. One you have 1480lbs less to pus around give or take, no AWD, and well if it is a narrow body car less tire. It will be fine, worse case is you can make one or two tires go up in smoke. confused24.gif

Of course if you are one of those rare people who can break everything then, well, it doesn't matter what you put in there, it will break.

And yes it will be better than the 901.
burton73
QUOTE(jim912928 @ May 28 2017, 07:53 AM) *

not sure why he couldn't adapt that for a 915!

After reading this thread and seeing just how clean this set up is and the fact that Cable Shifter Co has increased there price by over $200. In the time I have been dicking with my 74, I contacted the gentleman at Zero Decibel Motorsports, LLC
To ask him if his set up would work for a 930 Turbo trans that is going in my 74 SBC V8

His response: Hello Robert,
It would depend mostly on the mounting positions that are available. The bell crank has two through holes that match two threaded bosses on the 5 speed transmission. If these holes line up then it will work, otherwise you'd need an adapter.
Thanks,
Craig

Zero Decibel Motorsports, LLC

Bob B
jimkelly
I just put this togther coldwater style but my 1990 suby trans did not have the two bungs that later models do, so I have to weld brakect to trans hanger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE_UYPzY8Ss
914forme
Just got all the parts yesterday, and I can say wub.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

They are a thing of beauty and simplicity. Minor amount of play in the bearing , not sure if it will be noticed or not. confused24.gif

Will compare it to the Coldwater system once I get a chance to pull it out of storage.

I need to redo my shop storage system to make it easier to get to all my stuff. blink.gif I think it is on the bottom of a stack.
mepstein
I bought a couple of these with the 25% off coupons. I wanted something to throw small parts in and be easily visible without having to really organize too much. I've been filling them up with small seals, hardware, ect. I still need to do some better storage for the big stuff so I don't have to empty out bins to find parts but these have worked for me so far.
turnaround89
Not to steal 914forme's thunder here, but I was able to get my Zerodecibel Bell Crank shifter setup last night .

It is a very nice setup, can't say anything bad about it. Solid craftsmanship and zero fitment issues. Went together in about 10minutes by looking at the images on the website.

After a bit of adjustment in the heim joints on the MR2 shifter and at the bell crank shifter assembly I can reliably engage every gear. You can feel the gear engagement and shifting is very smooth. My 5th gear is a little tight to get into, but after the adjustment this became smoother.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

All the parts required and prices are below that I used in my cable shifter setup

Toyota MR2 Shifter - $60 - ebay
Custom Control Cables - $178 - 7ft in length, part number 100-4222-0084
Custom Control Cables
Zero Decibel Bell Crank Shifter - $300 - ZeroDecibel MotorSports Bell Crank Shifter

Parts list below is how I attached the Custom Control Cables to the MR2 shifter assembly
1/4-28 Heim Joints (2) - $9.87/piece - TruValue Hardware
3/8 Bronze Flange Bushing (2) - $3.12/piece - TruValue Hardware
1/4-20 Stainless Steel Bolt (2) - $0.85 - TruValue Hardware
1/4-20 Stainless Steel Nut (2) - $0.37 - TruValue Hardware

The 7 foot control cables could be shortened by a few inches, however, with 7 feet I am able to route the cables away from the engine and attach them to the engine cradle. Still need to make the actual attachment to the engine cradle, but overall, the system works great!
mepstein
Andrew - great write up.

I'd like to do something similar for my 915 transmission - without buying the unit from cableshift.com/PMS
turnaround89
Thanks Mepstein.

If anyone is curious on how the shifter operates, check out the video of the MR2 shifter in my car. My car is not drive-able, so this is just a dry run through each gear.

Porsche 914 Cable Shifter

I forgot one item that I also added to the cable shifter build:

Toyota MR2 Shifter Base Aluminum Bushings - $28.00 - Twosrus.com Shifter Base Bushings

These aren't a requirement for the shifter to work, but the rubber bushings in the MR2 shifter I bought were completely shot.
JRust
I just sent him info to order this Bell Crank setup. After hearing how Turnaround99 felt about this setup. I felt good enough to take the plunge. IF it turns out to be crap I'll find you poke.gif . Seriously I am excited to give it a try. Picked up an MR2 shifter although it has a short shift setup in it. I'll keep my eye's open for the stock one. It is short enough already. Still I can get everything in place with it
mepstein
Here's another, possible, shifter/linkage setup for a 914 - suby conversion.

http://www.verycoolparts.com/shifter.htm

DBCooper
That last VeryCoolParts setup is how I did mine, too. It's just bent steel brackets in the rear instead of the bell crank, and works pretty well. I used an MR2 shifter up front which is definitely not as cool looking as that one though, got to admit.

dwillouby
This has most likely asked before. But anyway. Does anyone know how a cable setup would compare on a 901 to say a Jwest shifter with Tangerine linkage?
I am a cheap sob and on the fence about this decision.
Thanks
David
76-914
See post #565. Might answer your question. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...2722&st=560
mepstein
I'm wondering if I should buy this shifter and linkage and try to reconfigure for my 915 trans.
JRust
Just a quick bump as I plan to install my zero decipal unit on my transmission this weekend. I have some cables but not sure if they are the right length. So I will probably order new cables monday
effutuo101
Anybody want to stop by Lemon Grove and help me get my shifter adjusted? Next stop, engine wiring and dyno.
jimkelly
my favorite youtuber has just installed a honda rsx shifter in his 914/suby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEUvF_fxITM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.