Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Norcal Track Day Dec 10th @ T-Hill East (3mile)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
OK, Lets do Dec 10th @ Thunderhill East 3 mile track. We will individually need to register with OnGridTrack via the registration below. Note if you just want to come up and watch Thunderhill property is free to enter.

The group has multiple run groups and will likely fill up in the first 3 days of opening registration. Once its open I will inform everyone whos interested but your best bet is following their event on facebook as they post updates on registration.

Each run group has a limit of 20 cars so a total of 100 cars on the track that day.

Below is where you will register when it is open. You are welcome to ask them questions and they will respond very quickly.
http://www.ongridtrack.com/event-registrat...t-3-mile-sunday

Below is information on their run groups. I ran in group 2A and 1 and the cars that run in these groups most likely are on 200TW tires or better. My suggestion is unless you have GOOD tires (40TW or better) and are familiar with open track days then do not go any quicker than 2A. Group 4 is typically full aero track cars on slicks.
http://www.ongridtrack.com/run-groups/

Facebook event info (For keeping up with the event information)
https://www.facebook.com/events/852037538290698/

I have attached their tech form for everyone to be able to check your cars. Note this is a self tech.

ORIGINAL POST BELOW: I'd Like to hit a track day this year and my current preference is Thunderhill up in Willows, Ca as its the cheapest and getting to be a pretty nice track.

Anyone else interested in a track day September/October/November?

We could hop onto Ongrid Track or Speed SF's or one of the many other car clubs. Prices range from $150-250 for the day depending on the track and organization, 5ea 20min sessions

driving.gif

Headcount for Dec 9th Trackday @ Thunderhill Raceway:
Andyrew
Robnxious
JustinP71
Robnxious
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 25 2017, 09:42 AM) *

I'd Like to hit a track day this year and my current preference is Thunderhill up in Willows, Ca as its the cheapest and getting to be a pretty nice track.

Anyone else interested in a track day September/October/November?

We could hop onto Ongrid Track or Speed SF's or one of the many other car clubs. Prices range from $150-250 for the day depending on the track and organization, 5ea 20min sessions

driving.gif

I would be interested
Tom_T
Andrew,

You might also want to check out Buttonwillow, since several of the Zone 7 & 8 Regions + BMW-CCA LA, SD & SF areas use it for club events. It's between the SoCal & NoCal contingents, so you may be able to get more folks from both areas (Kern County off I-5).

We had the owner Les Phillips as guest speaker at our PCA OCR Breakfast at the beginning of May talking about their planned track #2 expansion. Nice guy!

He may give you a price break as a 914 group.

Have Fun! driving.gif driving-girl.gif beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
SirAndy
Would love to but i don't think it's in the cards for me right now, being a responsible house owner now and all that ...
sad.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 25 2017, 10:00 AM) *

Andrew,

You might also want to check out Buttonwillow, since several of the Zone 7 & 8 Regions + BMW-CCA LA, SD & SF areas use it for club events. It's between the SoCal & NoCal contingents, so you may be able to get more folks from both areas (Kern County off I-5).

We had the owner Les Phillips as guest speaker at our PCA OCR Breakfast at the beginning of May talking about their planned track #2 expansion. Nice guy!

Tom
///////

Buttonwillow is also in the cards, I drove it many years ago and had a great time its got a good pace especially the "S"s.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 25 2017, 11:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 25 2017, 10:00 AM) *

Andrew,

Tom
///////

Buttonwillow is also in the cards, I drove it many years ago and had a great time its got a good pace especially the "S"s.

PS -

I just saw that OCR has a DE there on 11/6, so maybe y'all can tag onto that one -

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/pcaocr...g-events-340469

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
ConeDodger
Trackmasters is owned by Doug Gale a Sacramento Valley Region member of PCA. I know some other groups too.
Justinp71

I'd be down. I've raced with Lotus club and NCRC at thunderhill, both were good clubs with reasonable prices.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 25 2017, 07:53 PM) *

I'd be down. I've raced with Lotus club and NCRC at thunderhill, both were good clubs with reasonable prices.

agree.gif love NCRC!
Blue6
I'd also be interested, but Buttonwillow in Sept can be very, very hot..
Justinp71
What do you think about Monday Oct 16th with NCRC? That would be the coolest day on this list. It has drivers school too for anyone that has less than 2 days track experience.

Click to view attachment

http://www.ncracing.org/events.php
ConeDodger
The last couple of years, you couldn't just pay for and attend an event with NCRC. You had to join NCRC. So you factor that in as well.
I know one of their instructors quite well. He might help get us integrated in. I'd guess the majority would be School group which is still way more fun than you'd believe..
Andyrew
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 26 2017, 09:49 AM) *

What do you think about Monday Oct 16th with NCRC? That would be the coolest day on this list. It has drivers school too for anyone that has less than 2 days track experience.

Click to view attachment

http://www.ncracing.org/events.php

Ya, but thats a Monday.. Granted its the 3 mile track which is great for HP cars.

This is what I was thinking.
http://www.ongridtrack.com/event-registrat...2-mile-saturday

Its a Saturday, its cheaper, Its the new 2 mile track, which is nicely tight. A really good 914 track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOCxSxuQED0

Also Ongrid is very laid back, no joining or anything.
Justinp71
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 26 2017, 10:36 AM) *

Ya, but thats a Monday.. Granted its the 3 mile track which is great for HP cars.

Its a Saturday, its cheaper, Its the new 2 mile track, which is nicely tight. A really good 914 track.

Oh even better, sounds good...How much time do we have to reserve our spots?

I'm not sure if I have enough cooling with the new motor for the track, but there is only one way to find out!

Andyrew
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 26 2017, 11:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 26 2017, 10:36 AM) *

Oh even better, sounds good...How much time do we have to reserve our spots?

I'm not sure if I have enough cooling with the new motor for the track, but there is only one way to find out!

Months. They generally fill up about a month before if they fill up at all. Beginner run groups are typically the first to fill up.
Robnxious
Did this ever go anywhere?
Andyrew
Not yet. Sorry, life got busy and I forgot...

How does this event look to everyone? Cheapest in the area and I know it'll fill up fast. December could be wet though, but last time it was great.

Note that the other two ongrid events are already booked up.

If someone has any other suggestions in a decent pricerange day let me know.
Elliot Cannon
The Streets of Willow was always fun. A great track for 100 - 150 hp cars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQJieiiUtIg
Justinp71
Dec 9th would work for me. Wouldn't have to worry about running hot either (assuming no rain).

There is also thunder hill track days October 29th, but I'm not able to make that date.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/exclus...way-park-477058
Andyrew
Dec 10th (Not 9th) It is! First post updated with info.

Andyrew
Where is the interest? We havent had a 914 track day in California in a LONG time!!

I have 3 people on my side (dad, cousin, friend) that will join us. I honestly dont care about bringing 914 cars out there, just 914 people! If your 914 is down bring something else!

SirAndy, You got MONTHS to settle into your house and work on repairs.
RobW - Bring out Dads car!
RobS - You know your down!
Mike Bellis - Lets represent!
Elliot - Come on up!
Dave- Bring up the v8!

If you get called out call out someone else smile.gif I'd love to have a big party saturday night up there.
Robnxious
I'm in, not sure if the new engine will be broken in, but the drive to Willows will at least allow me to put more miles on it and get it closer to break in.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Robnxious @ Aug 10 2017, 08:25 AM) *

I'm in, not sure if the new engine will be broken in, but the drive to Willows will at least allow me to put more miles on it and get it closer to break in.

No better place to break in an engine than on the track! smile.gif

New engines should be driven hard to seal the rings, new clutches should not be abused.

Be sure if you do drive on the highway you vary your RPM's every few minutes and do some partial throttle pulls with load.
Robnxious

No better place to break in an engine than on the track! smile.gif
New engines should be driven hard to seal the rings, new clutches should not be abused.
Be sure if you do drive on the highway you vary your RPM's every few minutes and do some partial throttle pulls with load.

Yup, already had the "talk" from my mechanic on how to drive the car to seal the rings really nicely. I haven't talked about it, but this will be a really sweet set up once it's all together and in the car. So yes, track time and AX time are in my future, though I can't hit Stockton this weekend since I just had a minor procedure in my shoulder, so hard driving probably wouldn't be the smartest of ideas right now.
Andyrew
Bump!
Andyrew
BUMP!

The event host is considering opening the registration early. I'll post as soon as I know when it will open but the rest of the events through the year are already sold out so everyone will need to jump on the registration!

If you on the fence let me know so I can send you a reminder!
Andyrew

Registration open!

Pm me if you have any questions. Be sure to register asap as the last event sold out in a couple days.
Andyrew
The event is 50% filled!!! If your looking for a track day at the end of the year this is it! We have 3ish 914's(Dependent on if I am confident in the 914 or if I take the 944T) going at the moment and I am looking for more! I have 4 others coming with me driving.

Justinp71
I'm all signed up for Group 2a piratenanner.gif driving.gif
Justinp71

Its this weekend already! piratenanner.gif

I just found my bilstein front struts are shots, going to attempt installing some Koni yellows on Saturday.

I also need to check if my Harness is ASM rated, it is a 5-point (website only specifically out rules 4 point) so maybe its OK?
Andyrew
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Dec 7 2017, 10:37 AM) *

I just found my bilstein front struts are shots, going to attempt installing some Koni yellows on Saturday.

I also need to check if my Harness is ASM rated, it is a 5-point (website only specifically out rules 4 point) so maybe its OK?

Self inspection, You'll be JUST fine. biggrin.gif

I had the AC clutch bearing go out on the 944, so I have to temporarily remove the AC on Saturday. But everything went well on my Autox day so the car is running well. I'll probably put some non leaded race gas in at the track as some added knock protection.

Staying at Super 8 Saturday night, Likely have dinner someplace fun smile.gif

209-324-9148
ConeDodger
Sorry. I volunteered to work. blink.gif
Andyrew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooX1Z2WV-K4
Andyrew
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 7 2017, 11:42 AM) *

Who does a silly thing like that? blink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 7 2017, 05:15 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 7 2017, 11:42 AM) *

Who does a silly thing like that? blink.gif

Umm... me??? blink.gif

Have fun. biggrin.gif
Justinp71
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 7 2017, 11:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Dec 7 2017, 10:37 AM) *

Self inspection, You'll be JUST fine. biggrin.gif

I had the AC clutch bearing go out on the 944, so I have to temporarily remove the AC on Saturday. But everything went well on my Autox day so the car is running well. I'll probably put some non leaded race gas in at the track as some added knock protection.

Staying at Super 8 Saturday night, Likely have dinner someplace fun smile.gif

209-324-9148

Cool Beans. Planning to work on the car some Saturday for some final touches and head up Sunday real early...

blackmoon
I do need to do this
Andyrew
QUOTE(blackmoon @ Dec 8 2017, 02:41 PM) *

I do need to do this

Is your car ready? You might be able to join Sunday. If anything you could ask to join after lunch, the track clears out then.
Justinp71

Well that was a blast... Cars today are so much faster I feel than last time I was on the track 5 years ago. In our class there were Focus RS's, GTR, plenty of newer 5.0 mustangs. I have some gopro video I will post later of being on the track.
Wyvern
Sorry I missed this .
I would really like to do T Hill West in the 914 ...

Not to hijack ...
I am very active in PCA (Diablo Region) ... Very 914 friendly
We have 4 track days scheduled next year.

You do NOT have to be a PCA member !

Our DE days are split into Beginner , Novice , Intermediate ,( Instructor, Pro, Advanced)
We use motorsprot reg for sign ups and IF you have seat time tracked and or have been OKed to solo you you can sign up for your appropriate run group. If not you will have and instructor.
Our days are FUN !!!
Intended to be an 80% or 8 / 10s day.
Passing by point by only and in designated sections (those change with run group levels)

5 20/25 min run groups
never more than 100 total participants ... so at max 25 per run group.

I am an instructor and on the DE team ... I could inquirer about a 914 only run group ... that may work ...

Friday March 23rd @ T.Hill (3 mile)
Friday May 11th @ Laguna Seca
Friday Sept 7th @ T.Hill (5 Mile)
Monday Nov 19th @ Laguna

As these open up I'll post them.

PCA Diablo

These events and MANY others ... check us out.
Robnxious
I so wanted to do this, but since I am having a new engine put in my car, I didn't commit to it, thinking that there was NO way I would be able to have the 1000 miles driven that I needed to break the new engine in. Glad I didn't, since it wasn't until yesterday that they finally got the engine in and fired up. I promise the next time we plan on doing this, I will be there. Sounds like it would be a blast
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.