Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr. Evil Magical Hands
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
azbill
The west coast is going to miss the good Doctor and his talented hands. He did a fantastic job of assembling the guage. smilie_pokal.gif He over can some problems with holes linning up. If you need a guage put togeather find the Doctor to do it.
Qarl
Wow... they truly area magic hands... he made them invisible!

I can't see them.
azbill
Need to add the pics - Front
azbill
And the Back
michel richard
Invisible needle on the temp !
azbill
The needle is there you just cann't see it
TravisNeff
smilie_pokal.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (azbill @ May 11 2005, 07:25 AM)
The needle is there you just cann't see it

Must be running DTM technolgy....engine never heats up!
michel richard
QUOTE (azbill @ May 11 2005, 06:25 AM)
The needle is there you just can't see it

That's what I said, invisible needle.
Dougs914
That has to cost a
arm and some other
part to have done.
914werke
Where did that guage orig. come from?
Root_Werks
happy11.gif Soon that gauge kit will come from the land of Root. happy11.gif
Aaron Cox
lower left idiot light needs to be coerced into place wink.gif
aircooledboy
Wow!!! Is that a great combo set-up. smilie_pokal.gif

Dan old buddy, you're gonna sell a bunch a them if that's what they are gonna look like. Me likie. drooley.gif
Dr Evil
To straighten the lights all you have to do is put a pen in the back and reposition....sheesh. The kit was crappy. The holes for everything did not line up and needed to be "corrected" the best that I could. I also have a technique that allows me to put the light bungs in with out using the adheasive recommended. If they were glued, I have no idea how they would conduct groound.

I told Dan Root about the problems I had and he will make sure that his kits are top notch (of this I have no doubt). It was a PITA. If the kit was right it would have been so much easier.

Thanks for the props, Bill biggrin.gif
Mueller
looks good...the numbers for the "oil pressure" would drive me batty being tilted in that position wacko.gif
Root_Werks
Yep, hoping to make a run of like 100 of these. But it won't be for a little while. I have a feeling I will need to make a couple, assemble one, make another few, you know, R&D stuff. I don't want to powder coat them like the orignal kits either. Too much texture. I want to anodize the front plates. We'll see how things go. wink.gif There is a thread on this that was updated not too long ago.
914werke
whatchu talkin bout willis lol2.gif
Is this a new gauage or a friggin refit on an exiting housing?
Palo Alto does a similar one. but is $
I think its Kewl but a little more detail please cool.gif
azbill
I bought the kit from Jeff Fort, the oil pressure and temp modules came from a 1984 911, the fuel module is stock 914. Mike Dr Evel assembled the parts. That where the guage came from.
Dr Evil
Notice (if you can) that the low fuel indicator is a solid red now. My own personal modification wink.gif
914werke
AHHHH thank you So if you want one you will have to deal with Dan AND supply the 911 components?
Dr Evil
Yup, I strictly do assembly.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ May 11 2005, 03:50 PM)
whatchu talkin bout willis lol2.gif
Is this a new gauage or a friggin refit on an exiting housing?
Palo Alto does a similar one. but is $
I think its Kewl but a little more detail please cool.gif

Rich, I few years back this kit was offered I think for around $100-150. It was basically a backing plate and face plate with instructions on how to take a 914 and 911 combo gauge to make a 904 style gauge. I have assembled a few and loved the whole package/kit idea. I have the plans thanks to Aaron Cox and this summer will be re-tooling R&D the kit to make another run of them. it will cost $$$ and I don't really plan on making any real money from it. Really just want the kit availble again. Even with buying a used 911 combo gauge and this kit, one should be able to put a 904 kit together for under $200.

My goal is to offer the kit for under $150.
Dave_Darling
I would suggest modifying the backing plate so that the fuel gauge part can use the standard later (72+) fuel gauge modules. To do that, you drill holes in the same pattern as those used on the other two gauge modules (oil temp & oil press) but rotated around the center of the backing plate to the position for the fuel gauge module.

Finding the early gauges can be a bit of a pain, and having to de-solder and re-solder them is definitely a pain. If you make the above mod, you can use the later style bolt-in fuel gauge module. You wind up needing to use the 911 gauge housing as the housing for your new combo gauge, but that's quite easy to do anyway.

--DD
(Who did the above mods to his combo gauge kit.)
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ May 12 2005, 10:12 AM)
I would suggest modifying the backing plate so that the fuel gauge part can use the standard later (72+) fuel gauge modules. To do that, you drill holes in the same pattern as those used on the other two gauge modules (oil temp & oil press) but rotated around the center of the backing plate to the position for the fuel gauge module.

Finding the early gauges can be a bit of a pain, and having to de-solder and re-solder them is definitely a pain. If you make the above mod, you can use the later style bolt-in fuel gauge module. You wind up needing to use the 911 gauge housing as the housing for your new combo gauge, but that's quite easy to do anyway.

--DD
(Who did the above mods to his combo gauge kit.)

agree.gif Already have it drawn into some modified plans. I don't want there to be any soldering required.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.