Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How long are slicks good for?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Justinp71
So I'm thinking of doing a low key HPDE track day in a few months. Just stretching the legs on the 914-6 not trying to set any lap records. I have a set of BFG R1's with plenty of tread but they are 10 years old. Am I asking for trouble using these on the track? would I be better just using my street tires?

brant
those tires are definitely aged out...

they will be rock hard
hard to say if they are still better or now worse than your street tires.

if it were me I would consider just using the street tires
that way you are building more familiarity with the tires on the street for accident avoidance in the future...

or buy new tires?

wndsrfr
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 26 2017, 07:07 AM) *

So I'm thinking of doing a low key HPDE track day in a few months. Just stretching the legs on the 914-6 not trying to set any lap records. I have a set of BFG R1's with plenty of tread but they are 10 years old. Am I asking for trouble using these on the track? would I be better just using my street tires?

What are the street tires that you have now & how old are they? The Dunlop direzza Star Spec tires are a really good choice for street and track driving. Later, if you go further down the "slippery slope" get some Toyo RA1's ...
naro914
Not only are they aged out for grip, tires are rubber and rubber dry rots. Depending on how they were stored, old tires can split/blow out with the stresses that they go through on the track.
I wouldn't use them. If you're going to track the car any more than one or two times (which after your first one will most likely happen!!) I would say bite the bullet and get a new set of tires. Your end up wearing out the street ones anyway...
ablesnead
It they were stored indoors out of direct light , formula V will do wonders for them , and last for several sessions
Justinp71

Thanks guys. My street tires are Nitto NT-01's treadwear 100, they are pretty worn too, since I don't drive a ton these have lasted me some a/x's and 6 years of street driving. I'm thinking of just replacing my street tires with something that comes in a 225/45/15 and is 100-200 treadwear rating. Any other suggestions?

BFG Rival seems to be another good one.
Justinp71
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 29 2017, 06:28 AM) *

Not only are they aged out for grip, tires are rubber and rubber dry rots. Depending on how they were stored, old tires can split/blow out with the stresses that they go through on the track.
I wouldn't use them. If you're going to track the car any more than one or two times (which after your first one will most likely happen!!) I would say bite the bullet and get a new set of tires. Your end up wearing out the street ones anyway...

There were always stored in the garage, but not in bags. Would formula 5 on these be another option?
naro914
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jun 2 2017, 04:17 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ May 29 2017, 06:28 AM) *

There were always stored in the garage, but not in bags. Would formula 5 on these be another option?

Formula V helps soften them, but if they are aged out and started to deteriorate, nothing helps.
Cory M
10 years old? trash them
Justinp71
QUOTE(Cory M @ Jun 7 2017, 04:39 PM) *

10 years old? trash them

That's what I was afraid of was the better idea, I'll just get some fresh 100 or 200 tread wear tires, should be good enough for my track day. Thanks!
sixaddict
check Discount tire direct ...Have deal on Nito 01s right now..
Those would be excellent for your intended use.
Cory M
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jun 12 2017, 06:43 PM) *

Maxxis is having a 20% off free shipping deal now too. They have the rc1 and vr1 race tires. The code is summer2017
Justinp71
QUOTE(Cory M @ Jun 12 2017, 08:24 PM) *

Maxxis is having a 20% off free shipping deal now too. They have the rc1 and vr1 race tires. The code is summer2017

Thanks! These are $500/set pretty good price.
Justinp71
QUOTE(Cory M @ Jun 12 2017, 08:24 PM) *

I can't find anything in a 15" on their website? Maybe I should call them? Nt-01 is what I have now for a street tire and they've been great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.