Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does it cost for a dyno?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Hey guys I was just wondering what I could expect to pay to Dyno my 73' 2.0.
Any good places to suggest? I live close to Salem Oregon so preferably somewhere close! Also just a general idea on price. I'm just curious what horsepower I'm getting since the rebuild. I put 96mm P&C's with more of a racing cam along with porting & polishing the heads! I'm kinda guessing the 110-125 range. Am I dreaming or close? bs.gif
Bleyseng
Who ported the heads?

My guess is about 100 to 110 depending on the cam.

Geoff
aufaber
Yeah, those are pretty dreamy numbers for Just P&C and cam.

Dyno time goes for from arounf 55-155 bucks an hour depending on where you live and how much they want to ream you for.

-Aaron G>
DNHunt
Jamie

I spent $213 to dyno mine in May just south of Seattle. that was $125 an hour. He really didn't want to do it but was stuck since the office had made the appointment and we were there. This was a shop that did American Iron and he basically told me not to come back and don't spread his name around in our circle. His reason was that he lost money on the dyno and really had it there so he could sell other performance stuff for drag racing. As the session went on he turned out to be a pretty good guy and he knew his stuff with tuning so, I got the info I needed and got out.

I don't believe there is a substitute for the dyno in tuning fuel injection so when I make changes I really don't know whwere I'll go up here.

Dave
mightyohm
I'm looking for a place in San Diego to help me chase my fuel injection problems.
Mockmaw
I'm also interested in dyno time in San Diego. My engine build is coming along nicely.. I hope to have it in the car by the middle to late July. I'll let you know if I come across any places that particularly stand out.
Eric Taylor
Jamie- I just was at a shop with a Dyno in Salem. In fact my 72 had been worked on there so the guy has heard of a 914. The place is Dan Judy Automotive - 362-5830 . The owner is Dan and one of the nicer guy's I have met while on my search of 914's.
Eric
seanery
Hey San Diego guys.

Try Mind Over Motorsports
858-693-9911

If they don't have one there, they will know where to get it done.
JRust
Hey Eric I klnow Dan Judys. Heck I was over there last week looking a t a 914 they had for sale. He is a cool guy & I'll give him a call. Bleysing I had them done at a VW shop in salem. My real problem with restoring my 914 is documenting everything. I didn't keep diddly for my reciepts & my memory sucks. SO I don't even know what grind I did for my cam or the specifics on my heads. DUMB ASS!!! headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
GWN7
"Mind Over Motorsports". now where did I just see that? Hmmmm smile.gif

JRust...the best thing about forgetting stuff is that you soon forget what you were mad at yourself for forgetting smile.gif
Eric Taylor
Jamie - Yeah the reason I know them is because I ened up buying that 914 to replace my wrecked one. The body is excellent on it as far as I can tell. The bad thing is that it's gona take a clutch. Oh well. Feel lucky though that you didn't have to deal with the owner of the car, What a slimy ass hole!
Eric
rhodyguy
mind over motorsports. brads team, right?

kevin
seanery
yup, that's the one. sublety is not my forte.
rhodyguy
saving the reciepts? why? so people can laugh at you when you show them how much money you poured into your car? i mean you know whats been done. the average uninformed buyer doesn't give a crap about the subtle things, ie new rubber seals for the engine compartment, new bushings in the suspension, turbo tie rods, new engine and trans mounts,etc. "gee, no cd player?". the informed will know by the way you explain what you've done.

kevin
seanery
I tell you, having the receipts from the past 12 years helped me solve a 'no power' situation. I saw all the trouble PO had passing smog and what they tried to do and then found engine rebuild receipt which showed exactly which parts were used and that helped find the wrong cam in the engine, so, yes, it can help.
rhodyguy
what was the no power problem with the engine? what component?

kevin
seanery
the cam (1.7 bus single carb) in a 2.0 euro p/c dual weber engine
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.