Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake pad question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
1. My brakes are squealing a bit, so I figured they needed the pads replaced. Took the front driver's side pads off and they are fine, but one is more worn then the other by about a millimeter. I've been told this is because one piston moves more than another. Is this cause for concern? Is there a fix?

2. Where can I get the goop that goes between the pad and piston? Do I need to clean the old goop off before re-installing the pads?

3 What would cause the squealing, anyway? Bad goop? Cheap pads? I don't know what it has now, they were put on by PO.

4. Lastly, I got speedbleeders to install. Is it just one on each wheel? Do they go on top or bottom (there are 2 bleeder valves on each caliper).

Thanks!
ljubodraz
By no means am I a brake expert but I feel bad that you're not getting a response to relatively simple questions.

1. Brake squeal is typically caused by pad vibration. Many possible causes ranging from needing "goop" between pad and piston to a sticking piston not applying adequate pressure. The latter might explain your uneven pad wear. Others here are likely to provide you with better diagnostic advice than I.

2. Buy it at any auto parts store. It's so common that many have it sitting by the register in small packets. Yes, I would remove old goop before applying new. Don't go overboard with it, keep it off of rotor and front face of pads.

3. See response to #1 above.

4. Speed bleeders should be installed where the top bleeders currently are. Bubbles rise in brake fluid so they are expelled from the top of calipers rather than bottom.
914 RZ-1
Thanks! I thought people might have thought these were stupid questions.

I sprayed brake cleaner on them and they are fine now. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Brakes are kinda important.
ljubodraz
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ May 31 2017, 04:37 PM) *

Thanks! I thought people might have thought these were stupid questions.

I sprayed brake cleaner on them and they are fine now. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Brakes are kinda important.

Be careful with the brake cleaner. Rubber brake caliper seals/boots and any other nearby rubber components and paint get eaten up by brake cleaner. I know from experience. Fortunately I was disassembling/cleaning for a rebuild anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.