Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch replacement info needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Hey fellas:

I'm well into my clutch replacement project. Unfortunately, I don't get as much time to work on it as I'd like, but some time is better than nothing, I guess.

I was searching through the archives regarding clutch cable replacement today and I read something that got me thinking...

My car has only 76K miles on it - total stock. Clutch was slipping, which is why I'm replacing it.
I did NOT get any machining done on the flywheel, because of the relatively low miles and it "looked" OK when I had it out (no scoring, etc.). I got the clutch kit from PP with the new pressure plate and disk.

Is machining the flywheel an absolute MUST when doing this repair? What would NOT getting it machined do/cause?
Also, I ordered the main seal with the kit as recommended, but didn't come across any mention of it in the procedure. How can I tell if I need to replace it? Where exactly is it located?

I suppose I shoudn't have started putting it back together before I asked these questions. Dammit.

Thanks for any help.

Andy...
914zim
Sorry guys, the seal I referred to above is the smaller one. I did replace the bigger one that goes on the flywheel.
736conver
Andy,

I dont have a reply pertaining to your question, but nice to see you back up on the site. I thought maybe you sold your car.

Brian
914zim
icon_bump.gif
smile.gif
914zim
Hey Brian:

Nope, still have the 914... trying to get through this clutch replacement project though.
Hopefully, the guys can give me some help.

Andy...
Joseph Mills
Do you have the 3-piece kit (pressure plate, clutch disc & throw-out bearing), or the delux kit?

The delux kit has the following:

New Pressure Plate
New 911 Clutch Disc
New Throw-out Bearing
PLUS:
New Pilot Bearing and Felt Ring
2 Throw-out Bearing Guide Clips
New Throw-out Fork Bushing
2 CV Joint Gaskets
2 Muffler Gaskets
New Flywheel O-Ring
New Flywheel Bolts
New Flywheel Metal Crush Gasket
Clutch Disc Alignment Tool

If you don't have the delux kit, I would suggest you purchase all those small parts (not very expensive), on that list and install them.

The small engine seal is behind the flywheel. You also need a Haynes Manual - it will provide you with the torque specs you should be using.

You could take your flywheel to a porsche shop, or speed shop in your area and see what their appraisal is.

If not, you can go to my recent post on this same subject and get some info. One of the posts has a diagram of a flywheel, with the specs. It's very easy to measure them. Might help you determine the condition of your flywheel.

Maybe some others will have more thoughts on the flywheel.

Good luck! biggrin.gif
914zim
Thanks.
I have the "deluxe" kit from PP and am starting to reassemble everything.
The friction plate was not worn (not down to the rivets) and the FW wasn't scored (only 76K miles).
I just wondering of I can just reinstall the FW without having any machining done to it without any problems down the road (so to speak).

Andy...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.