Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Met original owner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74ravenna
Went to a local supermarket this morning and there was a light ivory 1.8

In this neck of the woods we don't see these all that often so i waited for the owner to come out of the store.

Turns out she bought it new in late 74 (i think) and has owned it ever since.

It has just over 130k on it and is in pretty decent shape. She brings it out this time of year every year and drives it as a daily driver.

It has the center console and steelies.

So this is the thing, it has the long bumpers fore and aft and the serial number starts with 475 so i thought it was a 75 but she was adamant that its a 74 and its registered as a 74, not that i argued the point.

My question to you is, is it a 74 or 75?

I didn't have a way to take a photo.
I also have the entire serial number but i'm not sure if its proper to put someones car in the database without their consent so maybe you could advise me on that as well.

Thanks
Steve
JeffBowlsby
You know what MY it is, she is misinformed.
74ravenna
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 27 2017, 09:50 AM) *

You know what MY it is, she is misinformed.

Thought so, thanks.
Just wanted to make sure there weren't some cars that "overlapped" years.
Dave_Darling
The model year is 75 on it. It may very well have been built in 74; production for the model year started in about September of the previous year. (My 74 was built in 10/73, for instance. And it isn't even one of the "early 74" cars with some 73 features.) So she may not know the difference between the two, or it may be that your state (or county or other organization) considers the build year to be the model year. I know that some countries do that--not so sure about states.

--DD
74ravenna
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 27 2017, 01:00 PM) *

The model year is 75 on it. It may very well have been built in 74; production for the model year started in about September of the previous year. (My 74 was built in 10/73, for instance. And it isn't even one of the "early 74" cars with some 73 features.) So she may not know the difference between the two, or it may be that your state (or county or other organization) considers the build year to be the model year. I know that some countries do that--not so sure about states.

--DD

It is an early 75. #0730 of the 75 MY. Not sure how many Porsche built in a day.

Thanks
IronHillRestorations
475 is a 75, also confirmed by the big bumpers
bbrock
Could it have been purchased in 74? I wonder if the registration reflects the purchase date rather than model year.
74ravenna
Yes, she bought it in late 74 so as a result It appears to be incorrectly listed as a 74 on the registration.
Hey, maybe that makes mine a 73!!!
Tom_T
It's the confusion over the model year straddling the end of the prior calendar year thru the 1st have of the matching calendar year.

It's not all that uncommon for the DMV folks to make occasional mistakes on that, & title a vehicle as a year early MY.

We have a vintage Avion T20 trailer (like Airstream) which is titled as a 1960, but in fact it is the #2 of that then new 1961 MY "T20 Tourist" model off the line & originally titled in summer of 1960.

So we have the same confusion at vintage trailer & car shows when we show it.

My 73 914-2.0 was built 8/31/72 & first registered 11/9/72, but got correctly titled as a 73 MY.

If hers has the 475 VIN, then it IS a 1975 MY - as others have said, but she purchased it in 74 & it's (mis-) titled that way.

In CA, you'd be happy to have a 76 titled as a 75, & make it under the smog check exempt law! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mark Henry
All cars from VW production the 3rd number is the model year, xx5 is a 75.
IPB Image

Model year production was from September to June.
This wasn't a VW only deal, I know for sure GM did the exact same thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.