Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wire wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74ravenna
I have the tar off the floor boards and want to wire wheel the surface to take off the rust and any residual tar and seam sealer.
Any recommendations for wire wheels?
I have an angle grinder and cordless drills so i could use either of those but i have absolutely no experience using a wire wheel on anything.

TIA
Steve
IronHillRestorations
Wire wheel isn't the tool of choice, you heat it up and make a mess. I've use a putty knife and wood chisels.

There's a technique using dry ice that looks easy. Look it up on youtube, it's worth watching because it just pops off.
markhoward
Just did it with a heat gun and putty knife. Came right off.
mepstein
The way I read the OP's post, he already removed the tar and wants to clean up the floorpan. I would use a knotted wire wheel and some 3M disks. Also a pneumatic needle scaller ($20 at harbor freight ) works great to remove seam sealer and leftover tar. Get the small one.
74ravenna
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 27 2017, 03:20 PM) *

The way I read the OP's post, he already removed the tar and wants to clean up the floorpan. I would use a knotted wire wheel and some 3M disks. Also a pneumatic needle scaller ($20 at harbor freight ) works great to remove seam sealer and leftover tar. Get the small one.

Excellent, will do.

Thanks
Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.