Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: True Olympic Blue colr
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jbuggyus
Hello, i have a 1974 olympic blue 914 that has been repainted about 20 years ago. I just purchased some paint for some touch-up but the L51p paint code they mixed up seems more an aqua blue( more green ) than what mines has(more of a baby powder blue). Now im not sure what the correct color is. Thanks
Jbuggyus
Picture of my olympic blue 914Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Go to the top of this page and click on the 914 info button. Color chart is there. Explore the site. It's all here.
Tom_T
Yours looks closer to the OE Oly Blue.

You can see that color on actual cars at p914.com - under colors, pick your MY & click on Oly Blue & it will show an actual car.

Cameras & displays change the color, so that's not the exact color to match, & wherever you got the touch-up missed on the mix if it's that much darker.

You could go to a local PPG or Dupont auto paints dealer to have them do a match with their color gun & it will be closer to your actual paint.

Not sure if you got the 1st batch from Dr. Colorchip, Paintscratch.com, or ?? - but they may take it back in refund for a bad match. Take some well mixed of their touch-up paint & put a dab of it on a white postboard/etc., let it dry, then take a pic to send to them for the bad match/mix.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
We've had different paint shops come out with their equipment to try to match paint and it never happens. There is no way to get an exact match for older paint. Between different brands of paint, the paints age, even how the paint was sprayed, it's impossible to match. You may get close and if that works for you and the spot you are trying to cover, then your local paint supplier can probably help you. If you want perfect and don't want to see the patch, a total respray is needed.
EdwardBlume
Mine came in OK on a respray.
Jbuggyus
Thanks, i do plan on a total respray next year but wanted to do the trunk areas this summer and did not want to spray the wrong color. Yours ( edward) looks a little green like the paint i have. I do like the color of my 914 and yes i can do a color match but would like to have original Olympic Blue whichever it might be.
EdwardBlume
Olympic Blue tended to haze when exposed to sun. If you have an area in the trunk or under the gas tank you can match, go for it.

I'm color blind so its all good to me, but some of the other 914 colors seem close but not exact. I see more white in the blue than green, but discount my view considerably.
Olympic 914
Mine was resprayed many years ago and at that time the engine cover was not resprayed. I always thought that the newer paint had more greenish tint to it.

Not something that a NORMAL person would notice though.

And the same thing happened when I painted it this time.

I went to the same paint shop and bought PPG JAU single stage which is their "shopline" paint. used it to paint the trunks, engine compartment, wheel wells, undersides, etc.

Then when I bought the paint for the outside, using the same paint shop with the same paint codes, I ordered a mix of PPG Concept DCC Single stage. This paint looks a slight bit greener and a bit, shall we say, Creamier
So a lot of things effect the color of the paint, from the type to quality to number of coats ,

I painted things at many different times, but I always tried to keep the number of coats consistent. I am happy it didn't turn out a bunch of different shades,

I think this Olympic Blue might just be a hard paint to match.

That said this thread gives all us Olympic Blue 914 owners a chance to post a picture of our cars.

Here's mine

Looks a little greener. confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
BTW if your car was resprayed many years ago, the color you have gotten used to all these years may have been an off-color mix way back when.

VW had a color blue on the bugs that was a lighter blue than the blue on the 914s
Jbuggyus
Great looking cars Edward and Olympic 914!!
napasteve
Mine is original paint except for the rear passenger side fender

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Mine. I had a couple spray cans made up using the codes and they match spot on.
EdwardBlume
This was my other car that was reshot slightly off. Not tough to get wrong.
Jbuggyus
Thanks for all the great shots! I am now thinking that when mine was repainted the the color was a little off from original( to much blue) and the new paint might be the correct one (a shade greenish blue).
carr914
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.